Google Cast - problem with internal url

Hi,

Sorry of this has been asked a thousand times before.
I have Nabu Casa so have a working external url.
I’m trying to get Google Cast to work with a Google Home Display. I keep getting errors because for some reason HA is not sending my external url. See here:

Logger: homeassistant.components.cast.media_player
Source: components/cast/media_player.py:387 
Integration: Google Cast (documentation, issues) 
First occurred: 21:27:25 (1 occurrences) 
Last logged: 21:27:25

Failed to cast media http://homeassistant.local:8123/api/camera_proxy_stream/camera.front_door?authSig=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiI5ZjM0NWYxOWQxNDk0ZmQ0YTA0ZDJlNWM0M2JmYjFiYyIsInBhdGgiOiIvYXBpL2NhbWVyYV9wcm94eV9zdHJlYW0vY2FtZXJhLmZyb250X2Rvb3IiLCJpYXQiOjE2NDcwMzQwNDIsImV4cCI6MTY0NzEyMDQ0Mn0.a5-BBsHnGRjPrl0WeNHqA2x_4Mt1UHL2oTuYsLQo57k from internal_url (http://homeassistant.local:8123). Please make sure the URL is: Reachable from the cast device and either a publicly resolvable hostname or an IP address'

It doesn’t matter what I try, I get the same error. Any help would be very gratefully received!

Thanks,
Andrew.

VLAN involved?

Hmmm. I’m running in a virtual box on an intel nuc so there may be network shenanigans due to the bridged connection. But, everything else is fine. I don’t know how I can make the integration pass my external url to the Google display instead of my internal one. Thanks

Perhaps as a test to make sure the media is reachable, replace the internal url with the external in settings.

@abplus did you ever find a solution for your issue? It seems that I’m experiencing something similar, but the context is a bit different.

Hi, yes I gave up with running HA in a virtual machine, I re-purposed the intel nuc to have HA run on it directly. That solved all sorts of problems. Try changing your external address from auto to your actual nabu case external address and make the internal one your ip:8123, see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

I’m running it inside Hyper V but I don’t think I found other issues with this setup yet.

Try changing your external address from auto to your actual nabu case external

I’m actually using the Cloudflare tunnel solution, so I don’t believe I have this configuration.

make the internal one your ip:8123

Changing the internal_url to the IP address actually solved the problem!
Thank you!

1 Like

This worked for me! Seems weird to me that it doesn’t work without this…