Google cloud platform e-mail OAuth 2.0 Access Token Size for Google Cloud Platform Customers

Mail quote:

Google Cloud Platform will roll out security and reliability improvements that will increase the sizes of OAuth 2.0 tokens. Please follow the instructions below to use the documented token size limits of 2048 bytes and to remove any logic in your services/code that restricts its ability to process access tokens of certain sizes before August 23, 2021.

I did a manual setup using instructions in Google Assistant - Home Assistant
Does this change affect such config somehow?

1 Like

Same here. Got the email and have no idea if it will affect anything. Anyone know?

I received the same mail.
I am wondering how you can check if the access tokens exceed limited size

Access token isn’t something you enter in config. You enter the client ID and secret, HA uses that info to request and acquire an access token.

So what they’re saying there is if you are a developer of an application that acquires and stores Google access tokens (which it thinks you since you created an application on GCP) then you need to take a look at the code in your application. If your application is coded in such a way that it will only work if access tokens are a specific length then your application is going to break for your users because that length is increasing. You will need to fix your application before this date.

In short, this doesn’t affect config at all. The only thing it might affect is the Google Assistant component of HA. If so, the HA team will have to put in a PR to fix it before 8/23/21. Either way, nothing should change for users of HA.

2 Likes