Google Coral USB + Frigate + PROXMOX

would appreciate it. How do you tell if hardware acceleration is being used? I have the same issue where CPU usage is the same regardless of what settings are in the LXC conf files. I don’t have a coral (yet) so am just looking at re-encoding and recording and have detection turned off.

EDIT: I finally managed to get hardware acceleration working (as shown in intel_gpu_top) but it has made a difference (going from 5% to about 3.5% CPU on my pentium J5005) with no detection of course.

Intel_gpu_top is how I checked too. Didn’t really make much difference for me though. Mine is sat at around 8% when it’s quiet but we live next to a school… When the traffic turns up for that it hits about 35%! With detection on obviously.

1 Like

I haven’t quite worked out yet though:

If detection is off, all motion detection is off? So if recording is set to motion, recording is off as well?

If recording is off, is it just event recording, 247 recording or both that gets turned off?!

I have just finished setting up all this “stuff”, not without struggling a lot…
But it seems working very very nice.
I don’t know much about lxc, proxmox and mount points and now i have a big problem about clips files.
The question is: where are them located? And how to let them out from the lxc container and make them recording on a lvm disk?

Has anyone tried this manual in the last time? I got alwaysGlobal Unichip Corp

Yes and it works. Global Unichip Corp will change to Google Inc when you first run Frigate with TPU config on it. Then restart Proxmox and you will see Google Inc against Global Unichip Corp

Check my original post at the top of this thread: “Appendix C - Frigate Recording Storage”.
If you follow that guide, you can map a ZFS share from any physical drive into your LXC, and then you edit your docker file (using Portainer) to map that LXC mount into your docker image as “/media/frigate” (the default location for the clips etc).

1 Like

Yes, ZFS is possible if spare disk is available. For instance my NUC does not have possibility to add second disk.

I dont believe you. Can u try it with a new lxc? There are so many obstacles on the way. For example the underlines in the quote for the portainer settings. Im new on docker and so thats all new for me (for the other users: remove the underlines…)

When you first run frigate or when you configure it with the TPU as per google coral website? As i did that (the TPU) and it still shows up in VMware as ‘global unichip’ etc.

After a long drought, they are starting to show up on EBay for more reasonable prices. I suspect the manufacturers’ back orders must be getting close to shipping - so the scalpers are trying to unload.

If U running Proxmox, after U configure Coral in Frigate’s config, U have to restart Proxmox to read devices again by Proxmox. Than it’ll change from “global unichip” to “Google Coral Inc”.

Not running proxmox, but probably the same then if just running in a VM.

Just got my coral today… and will begin to making LXC and hopefully working with 6 CCTV stream on my house. Finger cross

Proxmox has been updated and I believe nesting is only available if it’s set to unprivileged. So, does anyone have any update on how to do a passthrough for this?

Anyway, I’m running Debian 11 as my base installation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

wondering what the script does in setting up frigate? Is it checking and adding coral passthrough?

yes, for the USB Coral

so I will have to run the script on Proxmox right?

and then LXC will be able to detect the Google Coral?

the script creates an error on its changes. LXC fail basically

Only works with privileged containers