Google Drive add-on

@sabeechen thanks for posting this Google Drive backup add-on - it is awesome!!

The original repo thread is overly long and dates back to 2019 so starting a new one and have two questions:

1. The add-on is working great for me so quiet likely I will forget about it, the whole point of automation is to be lazy ( :grinning:), but it is likely that something may break or stop working over time. Is there any specific event that can be captured to trigger an automation for alerts related to failed backup?

2. I am using Google API set (with Pk12 file) for backing up OPNSense configuration but I could not figure out how to use the Pk12 file for this add-on, in case I missed something very obvious please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

True, that thread has gotten very long. It takes me quite a while to scroll to the bottom.

The addon will make a persistent notification when backups are stale (like the ones you get for “failed login attempts”). It also exposes a binary_sensor.backups_stale that is ‘on’ when backups run into trouble for a while. Both of these things can be turned off in the settings. I have a little more guidance and some examples for that here.

If you go to “Actions” > “Reauthorize Google Drive” in the addon you can click the link at the bottom to use your own credentials, you’ll get instructions for how to authenticate with Google Drive in a way that avoids using the domain I host to make it easy (http://habackup.io). Its different from how OPNsense does it. Instructions are here, and here is my best attempt at being transparent about how the addon handles authentication with Google Drive if you’re curious.

1 Like

@sabeechen Excellent documentation, it worked like a charm!!

Its impressive given that I have never used Google Developer’s API before, your details were spot on :sunglasses: