Google Home Actionable Notifications

I want to set up an automation that when triggered will send a text to speech to my google home devices using google_say then give me options that I can say to trigger different events

Example: Motion at the front door triggers google home to say “Someones at the front door” then “Would you like to turn the Front Lights on?” and I could respond with a yes or no.

Thanks in advance

6 Likes

It would be relatively easy to achieve if you were prepare to say something like " Yes, turn the Front Lights on" that could just be a routine that operates a switch, or “cancel” to ignore.

I can’t really see how you can pass “Yes” or “No” back into Home Assistant and you definitely can’t use it as a ‘key-word’ with Google Home.

I’m very interested to hear if anyone suggests anything else though. I’ve not heard much about Hey Ada! from the Add-on store and what can be achieved with that. Good luck.

1 Like

I’ve got this set up with Alexa after following a good tutorial but I’m trying to move to google home instead of having home and echo’s all over the house…

Anyone have any update on this? I’ve seen there’s an Alexa version, but it would be nice to have one for Google Home.

No traction on this one huh? I would be interested in this as well.

I guess this is something that is not supported by google. I have not seen any other product that uses google home like this. Hopefully there will be another solution at some point to create actionable voice notifications.

wanted to get a google hub since ur able to communicate with it in different languages and I like the UI more. But seems like there still isn’t Actionable Notifications for google?

Nothing yet?

Still nothing.

I saw this thread and i figured that someone would have done it by now. Unfortunately I dont have the spare time to investigate or learn something new but no doubt the answer lies with DialogFlow and intents. Ive done some youtube research while driving in the car (yes thats my research time) and was happy to play with someone elses brain-work due to the lack of time bandwidth and was also lookinig at chatbots but it looks like no one has managed to close the loop.

The other part to this is that we need to be able to detect WHICH hub the command was initiated from.

It becomes problematic when you ask for a dashboard/view on the hub in the kitchen and the media_play service does not know where the request came from.

Im unsure whether “intents” has a device status

I just saw this post and you are right if I’m not wrong we still don’t have a way to know which Google device was sending the request. Only way to do is to cheat and find key words to be sent in a script such as cast the Dashboard “in the kitchen” etc…

I think that before even thinking about having a chat with Google assistant we have find a way to identify the device_id where the user asked the question (or request).

I can see if I can find the thread (or just search for it), but you can send the command to the speaker you talked too.
You create a routine that runs a script in HA, at the end of the routine you make Google play a sound, birds sounds or white noise or something.

In the script you find what speaker is playing the sound, stop that speaker from playing then send your commands to this speaker.

It’s not perfect, but it works.
And you can make pre-planned actionable notifications also.

An automation runs to ask if you want to turn on TV.
TTS message above.
Wait until a boolean is true.
You respond with “hey Google yes please”.
This “yes please” is a routine in Google to turn on boolean.
The automation above proceeds.

It’s a hack, but it works if it’s simple commands and simple actions.

1 Like

Nothing official yet, huh?

I was originally detecting which Google Home was spoken to by playing music as mentioned above, but found it slow.

Instead I created a virtual switch for each Google Home, and exposed each to Google Assistant, all with the same name (eg. Current Google) but rooms matching each Google Home. Then in an Assistant routine/automation, the first action is “Turn on Current Google”, which turns on the correct virtual switch. I then have an HA automation that responds to the switch turning on and store off the details and turn the switch off again (using a group helper). Anything that needs to speak to that Google Home can then use the stored value.

Not that this helps with the OP’s question. I don’t believe there’s currently any way to get a Google Home device to listen without “hey Google” starting it.

1 Like