Google Home and Emulated Hue issues

I set up Emulated Hue on a fresh AiO install of Hass (on a RPi3) over the weekend.

Initially, when attempting to pair I was seeing the Philips Hue account message described above. After adding my host_id (IP address that HASS is running on) to the conf.yaml the pairing process worked perfectly.

My challenge now is trying to make the switch in HASS work when I give my Google Home the voice command (she says she’s done it, but the switch doesn’t activate in HASS)…

Could you elaborate a bit more on how you made this work? I think I have configured everything g correctly (port 80, included host_ip etc) but the Google Assistant app can never find my emulated hue.

Add host_ip

That’s exactly what I did. See my full configuration below:

emulated_hue:
   type: google_home
   listen_port: 80
   host_ip: 192.168.1.5

Unless you’re root, you can’t run on restricted ports (80 is restricted)
You’ll have to do port proxy and set up the advertised port

I can confirm that it is running on port 80 because when I go to http://192.168.1.5/description.xml it shows a valid XML page indicating emulated hue is up and running…

EDIT: can confirm that it is some kind of authentication problem because if I use the 3rd party app Light Control (for Philips Hue) I can find the hue emulator flawlessly and can even switch lights

What does that XML look like; specifically for URLBase ?

In the meantime I also tried the full version of habridge with the same results. See the full XML below:

<URLBase>http://192.168.1.5:80/</URLBase>

EDIT: only the URL base as formatting gets screwed

I managed to get it working when my Google Home arrived. I simply installed an older version of the app and presto: connection. So my guess is that habridge needs Google home device and the old version of the app to work

Anyone have the issue of their devices showing up duplicated in Google Home? Everything is doubled in mine and I have not found a delete/remove option.

I got this working.

My issue was that I was not the original account that Google Home was set up with. (everything was setup for my wife’s​ account before multi-user was a feature)

If I unlink the Hue account on my wife’s phone (in the Home app) and then try to add a Hue account on my phone’s Home app, it still does not work. However… after unlinking the original connection with the real Hue Bridge on my wife’s phone, it sees Emulated Hue just fine!

So to recap:

• emulated_hue on port 80 via my Raspberry Pi
  • Unlinked the Hue account from the primary account for the Google Home in that person’s Home app
  • Added a Hue account from the primary account on that account holder’s device
  • Don’t press the button on the physical Hue Bridge (if you have one)
  • FWIW, I do have a physical Google Home and a physical Hue bridge

The above worked for me.

1 Like

Do you have an actual Hue Bridge?

No, running the multiple emulated_hue. I think it may be the culprit. Today I woke to my normally okay functioning Alexa having duplicates.

For the Google Home I just changed the duplicate’s nicknames and assigned them to an unused room.

I had a lot of headaches trying to get rid of duplicates as well. For folks running the emulated_hue version that supports multiple instances (https://github.com/shenning00/emulated_hue), make sure you are using the target_ip parameter in your config for each instance. Set the target_ip to the ip of the device (Echo or Google Home) on your network that you want to access each hosted list of emulated devices. I set this, restarted HASS, and restarted my Echo and both of my Google Homes. It did not appear to work immediately, as I assume there is cache that needs to expire. However, the next morning, my duplicates were gone.

I used it for a while with no problem. Now Echo has all the instances, while Google Home has only real HUE bulbs but nothing else.

Any clue?

I’m pretty sure that one of Google’s recent updates (or HASS’ update) broke the connection. I had to unlink and re-link Hue on my wife’s phone (Primary Google Home account holder) recently.

Hi all, check out this discussion and PR that is coming in the next HA release:

Super stoked for the next release! Been without emulated hue for the past week and feels like we’re living in the dark ages in our house (sometimes literally).

This sounds pretty good, I’ll give it a go when I get a chance.

In the mean time, if I buy a Phillips Hue Hub (so I can press the magic button) would it also find my Hue Emulator as well? Has anyone tried this?

I have a physical hue, and no, it doesn’t find the emulated devices :frowning: I’m really annoyed. Why would google break support. IDIOTS!