Google Home Local Home SDK Released

Is this something that might be applicable to HASS? Would this allow for Google Hone control without the cloud or opening ports on my router?

2 Likes

The announcement in question: https://developers.googleblog.com/2019/07/developer-preview-of-local-home-sdk.html

Really interested in a local edition :wink:

This would be a perfect addition to Home Assistant’s mission to be as localised as possible

yes, this is a must have feature as soon as possible.

Not soon as possible :wink: , just interested :wink:

Seems it’s alpha integrated… Not sure how to use it though…

1 Like

the sdk just left the beta is now in 1.0.0

is there a way we can test it?

Documentation (with sample) is available and as there are a lot of people Working From Home, I can imagine we might see something quite soon :slightly_smiling_face:
Local Technologies for the Smart Home (Google I/O’19)

And I just saw this…
Google Assistant Local SDK #27428

Does anyone have any news on this? would be awesome. Hate to have my house connected to outside only because of this

Even with this functionality the connection to Google is required for voice processing. It just means you’re command goes straight from Google Home to Home Assistant. Rather than Google to Nabu Casa to Home Assistant.

@balloob gave a quick update on Twitter just the other day:

2 Likes

Supposedly the newer Mini (with the wall mount) has the ML chip but hasn’t been enabled.

“The Nest Mini comes with a wall mount, better bass, and a dedicated ML chip so machine learning can run locally.”

basically the following as laid out from someone on Reddit.

This is how it WILL work with 1.gen when google has rolled out local execution of commands:

1. You speak to GA to turn on a light
  2. GA sends the recording to the cloud
  3. The google cloud deciphers what you meant and send the command back to your GA
  4. the GA talks directly with your philips hub on your local network
  5. the light turns on

This is how it WILL work with 2.gen when google has rolled out local voice recognition and local execution of commands:

1. You speak to GA to turn on a light
  2. GA deciphers what you meant locally
  3. the GA talks directly with your philips hub on you local network
  4. the light turns on
1 Like

Curious if this will allow local control of nest devices ???

Look here its currently a work in process https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/30413

Hello,

Any news on this ?

Did this project die?