Google Home, multiple users

I’ve been using the Google Assistant integration for years now with no issues. Yesterday I did a fresh install and found that there’s no longer any way to assign Home Assistant scenes or scripts to rooms in the Android Google Home app. The Home Control section used to take you to a device screen where you could assign rooms, now it just goes to the list of integrations (including your Home Assistant Google project). Scenes do NOT show up in the Google Home’s main screen any longer where lights and such do.

Assigning rooms is necessary for other users to be able to access HA scenes. Right now I’m the only one that can trigger them by voice command; my wife cannot. Does anyone know of a work-around?

Nope! Did you end up solving this?

Literally all my scripts are useless because I can say cool things for hass to do but wife cannot. All because we wanted her music to play through her own spotify account. If you remove the shared user and voice match it just works because it doesn’t know the difference between voices.

1 Like

I haven’t tried this just yet but I think its now possible! Thought I would come back and post this from the Google_Assistant component:

If you want to allow other household users to control the devices:

1. Open the project you created in the [Actions on Google console](https://console.actions.google.com/).
2. Click  `Test`  on the top of the page, then click  `Simulator`  located to the page left, then click the three little dots (more) icon in the upper right corner of the console.
3. Click Manage user access. This redirects you to the Google Cloud Platform IAM permissions page.
4. Click ADD at the top of the page. 1. Enter the email address of the user you want to add. 2. Click Select a role and choose Project < Viewer. 3. Click SAVE 2. Copy and share the link with the new user. 3. When the new user opens the link with their own Google account, it will enable your draft test app under their account.
5. Have the new user go to their  `Google Assistant`  app to add  `[test] your app name`  to their account.

Also just a heads up there is no link after you click save, it just appears on the users google home app.

But I don’t think you get the name of the person back from Google when they issue a voice command.
So you can’t have different actions for the same command based on which user is issuing them.
At least that was the problem last time I tried.
We could all say “play music” or “good morning”, but Home Assistant did not get any hint of who said it.

But scenes en scripts never showed up on Google home screen, they are just in background, you can see it when you click on the devices… You are not able to control it as a light / switch

It was always like that?

Exactly what fabio said, you would then create a routine under the users google home app, that would trigger a script in the background. But instead of being turn on script_wol_mikes_computer it would be script_wol_wifes_computer. Google would know it was her that said it because its her routines, which would point to the correct back end scene/script. Hass has 0 way duplicating or having any sort or voice matching currently. Hope that helps! If not I can post pictures, let me know!

I know this is an old thread but I think I found how to assign scripts and scenes to a room. In the home app click your picture then “Assistant Settings.” Click on “home control” and you will see [test] robbz23 home. If you click it and click reconnect it will give you an option to assign scripts and scenes to a room. I created a room called “nothing” and put them in there. It gave me an error when I called the room scenes. I can’t test it out until the wife gets home but I think it will work.

3 Likes

Just a follow up, but yes this did work. Everyone in the house can now activate scenes.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip.
I am using Nabu Casa
When click on “home control” get the option to “reconnect Nabu Casa”
I do that and then I see option to assign a script to a room!
I click it and it just drops me back to ““reconnect Nabu Casa”” ??
It’s hard to know if it is a Nabu or a Google Home app issue :frowning:

Edit:
I used my iPad to do the same thing…and it worked as suggested. So just not on my Android phone!!! :confounded:

1 Like

Thats strange because I dont have any iOS devices.

This worked on my Pixel 3 Android device. Super annoying that it requires you to “reconnect” Nabu Casa. Is there a way to specify this in HA somehow? Does this correspond to the ‘room’ property when editing a scene/script in the YAML editor?

At least I know this feature exists now!

Noticed this myself over the weekend — as all my routines (which trigger a single scene) had reset themselves.

The scenes show fine for me, but not my wife. Tried checking for new devices for Nabu Casa under the Home Control integrations page to no avail. Ideally would prefer to not unlink and relink, and have to reconfigure everything, unless someone else can confirm that is the fix?

Replying here because I figure others who have gone the free Test App option might be having this issue.

I was losing my mind trying to allow my wife access to my scenes, but other than a few original ones, she couldn’t see any in her Googles Home app.
Yes, she’s linked as a family member etc, but for any routine I create with a scene she can’t see, it’s absolute hit or miss with regards to whether our Google minis can understand what she wants (usually miss, since its nor me of her “routines” as she can’t see the scene)… She can see the original ones with the room assigned, but no new ones that I can see.
Have tried re-adding test app, syncing all, etc. Nothing was working…

Anyway, I found the solution. In my config.yaml, I have scripts for a few original Google commands I had made, importantly with a room/speaker assigned. I copied and pasted one of these and added a newer entity, and low and behold, it also appears in both our Google Home routine—>Scenes!

I’ll throw in another option for anyone that comes across this thread. Just create a new boolean helper for any script or scene you want, and add that to your google home in any room you want. Then create an automation triggered when the boolean turns on to run the script you want, and turn off the boolean. It’s a little extra cruft in home assistant but less messing around in google.

Old thread but still relevant! I too have an unhappy wife but I figured out an easy solution that worked for me. When I define a Home Assistant script, I don’t assign the script to a room if the script isn’t room specific.

I can invoke any Google Home routine with a voice starter and then execute the HA script (Nabu Casa exposed it to Google) without any problems even if the script is NOT assigned to a room.

My wife’s account is linked to the same house and when she asks the Google speaker who she is, the Google speaker properly identifies her so the voice match is working. She can invoke the same Google routine but the call to the HA script, the one that is roomless, fails! Works for me but not for her!

I then assigned the HA script to a room, any room, and re-synced Nabu Casa (Not sure this step was necessary but I did it anyway) and now, the Google routine that calls the HA script works for her.

In her list of Google routines on her phone (IOS), she still cannot see the Google routines that I have defined via my account but she can invoke them using her voice. If she defines her own routine and tries to call a HA script, she cannot see the list of HA scripts published by Nabu Casa so she cannot publish any Google routines that call HA scripts.

So in my case, to resolve the problem, I only needed to assign the HA scripts to a room in HA. Maybe this can help others.

Ian

1 Like

Sorry for Necroposting in this thread, but I’m not sure, I get the “assign HA script to room” part. How did you assign the script to a room?

Edit: Ok now I also figured it out, I was checking in all the UI to find the “Room” or “Area” selection for scripts, but you have to click the 3-Dot-Menu, then select Information, then click the Cogwheel and then you can assign the script to a room.
And indeed, then the other person in the Household can use the script via Google Voice command :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Seems like there’s a new way of ensuring that household members have access to scenes in shared Household automations. If you create the automation using the new Google Home script editor (https://home.google.com) then other members of your household will be able to trigger it.