Google Keep Integration for Shopping list syncronization

Can we please have a Google Keep integration with the new to-do list? this will allow users to use Google Home to add items to the shopping list using their voices and at the same time be able to manually add or remove items from the Home Assistant dashboard. I would love to have this.

Welcome! I too would need this functionality, especially now that todo lists and synchronization with Google Tasks have been added.

I was looking at the google keep API REST Resource: notes  |  Google Keep  |  Google for Developers and see that google keep supports more rich objects than a todo list. It looks like it does have notes that can have a list in them. How would you expect this to work? One entity per note that has a list inside?

How can this work? How can you add items by voice, since the item is a variable?

I know IFTT could handle this by custom ingredients… but there is no such thing in HA?

Its like: add “sugar” to the list…

How can HA retrieve that word “sugar” and add it to the list? (Google Assistant integration)

Hmm, it maybe be my lucky day:

It was indeed possible to use Google keep as a provider in the Google settings, but only in a few languages…

In “Dutch” it wasnt possible to select keep as a provider, it always used the classic shopping list, seems thats changing now, everything will be moved to Google keep …

https://9to5google.com/2023/11/01/google-keep-shopping-list-assistant-notes/

I would love also to see Google Keep integration in next versions. It’s easy to add items to list through Google Assistant, this way we can feed shopping list and much more.

2 Likes

It would be really good.
I use google keep assiduously and at the moment I don’t plan to change the application.

Definitely a needed integration - have tried two other unofficial integrations but found both lacking. Official support for this would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Having this would solve the problem that google removed support for parameterized phrases. IFTTT could originally be used to integrate GA with the HA shopping list but now it’s not possible.

This could possibly be restricted a bit. Afaik, there are objects that are pure text lists, so it could be restricted to these and you’d choose which lists you want to synchronise in HA.

Yeah i think only supporting lists is how i was thinking about it to. So – one entity per note?

I don’t really use keep so not sure how people really use it. Do lists have a name?

Yepp they have a title and the checkboxes can be activated and deactivated. So you can switch between text and list view where each line becomes a checkable item.

To add to Jörg’s text, as a general overview, you have a ton of tiles. When making a new note, you create a new tile Each tile can have a title and then it’s either a text (where you cak add photos etc) or a checklist. I’m guessing internally each of these tiles will have some sort of UID.
I don’t actually remember how Google chooses which list is being used as the shopping list, but I assume it gets created automatically with the first time you add something, if you choose keep as your default list provider.

Might be interesting that Google is in midst of a transition to move all former shopping lists and all Google Assistant notes to Google Keep lists. Keep seems to become the preferred list provider.

1 Like

I also saw that transition message on my shopping lists , it says, “takes only a few minutes” , that was on first of november… I still see the same message now in december :slight_smile:

Tasks has the same problem but it’s already supported as a todo list.

In the case of tasks, these nested elements are just treated as elements without the “indentation”. This way you maintain the overall structure of the list, while including all elements.

1 Like

I believe there was a slight misunderstanding here. Keep has a grid of tiles. Each tile can be a checklist (or just text/images). That checklist, to my knowledge, doesn’t even support nesting though, so it’s even easier. We would “just” have to link one tile to our todo list in HA and that’s it! That’s basically the same that happens when you link Keep to Google Assistant.
Well, at least I haven’t stumbled upon nested list items yet and I’ve been using Keep for a while!

Lists with activated checkboxes can indeed be indented, but only by one level.
Lists without checkboxes are always flat.

1 Like

Also, according to the google keep api documentation at

list entries are formatted like

ListItem:
{
  "childListItems": [
    {
      object (ListItem)
    }
  ],
  "text": {
    object (TextContent)
  },
  "checked": boolean
}

So, each List item can have other list items as part of its childListItems attribute.

1 Like

Yeah please support Google Keep. It is much more important then the Google tasks sync.

1 Like