Google music in HA

Does the pip3 command work for you, if you manually run it from command line via ssh?

For me it says pip3 not available. But could be that this doesnt work from ssh but works from within hassio.

now I am getting the same error. Did you find a fix?:joy:

Nope, maybe it’s not compatible with 0.72?

Silly/noob question, how would one implement this in docker?

Awesome component. Just missing track metadata in the media player (text and art both). Wondering if anyone has a version that does metadata too.

@Danielhiversen GmusicAPI is now up to 11.0.2. Maybe it works?

Finally got it working on my setup as well… maybe because of switching to a NUC based HASSIO.
I see that currently its not possible to play stations or curated auto playlists.
Further, i have not found a way to select a random play mode of the songs in the playlist.

Does anybody know how to correctly call the “gmusic switch” in an automation? I’d like to try feeding it some variables to check if stations can be forced

you have to install the gmusicapi module in the container or in an image that you build with HA. If you need help, ping me.

1 Like

So I’ve got this set up, and almost completely working… the only issue I seem to have left is I can’t stop the music after starting it! I can choose a playlist and media player, and then use the slider to start playing, but if I try to use the slider to stop music, nothing happens!

my media_player package has everything you need.

4 Likes

Same issue for me: no track title and author info displayed on media player.
Did you find a solution?

Hi there,
Thanks for all the hard work!
I’ve managed to get it working, but I’d like to rename the media player input select options as they are displayed as entity_ids.
Any ideas how to accomplish this without having to create another input_select to reference the original input_select.media_player?

Oh and another thing, how does one disable shuffling of the songs?

Wasn’t working with @TerroBladeZ 's package at first, but I saw that gmusicapi vers. 11.0.2 was installed. So I launched a console into my container and ran pip3 install gmusicapi==10.1.2 and it worked. I still see errors in the log though.

1 Like

Something broke today. GMusic now gives 403 errors when streaming. The playlists are being picked up so I think the login works. But streaming doesn’t. Anyone else have this problem?

I tried new password and device ID. Same deal.

I just installed this on hassio.

Seems to work okay.
But stopping the music and changing the playlist is a little buggy.

After updating to 0.88, this happens now. I changed the naming structure as per the new custom component rules but I think the python script needs an update.

2019-02-20 21:02:54 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Error loading custom_components.gmusic.switch. Make sure all dependencies are installed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/app/homeassistant/loader.py”, line 147, in _load_file
module = importlib.import_module(path)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/importlib/init.py”, line 127, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “”, line 1006, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 983, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 967, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File “”, line 677, in _load_unlocked
File “”, line 728, in exec_module
File “”, line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
File “/config/custom_components/gmusic/switch.py”, line 18, in
from homeassistant.components.media_player import (
ImportError: cannot import name ‘MEDIA_TYPE_MUSIC’ from ‘homeassistant.components.media_player’ (/usr/src/app/homeassistant/components/media_player/init.py)
2019-02-20 21:02:54 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Unable to find platform gmusic

Same here. Got it working again by editing the python file and removing the entry MEDIA_TYPE_MUSIC from line 20. But please bear in mind that I’m meddling with something I don’t understand, so a backleash may be possible. It works for me, but I get a new warning in the log saying:

Your configuration contains extra keys that the platform does not support.
Please remove [user], [password], [device_id], [media_player], [playlist].

The line the refers to is the one where I integrated my gmusic-switch.

1 Like

It works - so for now, my showers with music are saved!
So sad that Danielhiversen gave up the development of this awesomeness

Did someone get it working with 0.89 ?

I just did the renaming as suggested here:

So my component strucuture looks like this now:

custom_compontents
└── gmusic
    ├── __init__.py
    └── switch.py

However I never can see the gmusic switch as before.

1 Like

So did .89 kill this? If so, what a bummer

At least I could not figure out how to get it working on 0.89

Since I already have the NFC cards I will have a look how to pass the playlist to my Google homes.
I saw a add on which could pass TTS to the Google home.
Maybe I can get it to work that way around.

This would be more native than writing a custom component.