Google Nest Doorbell - issues with motion detection and video clips

Some month ago I got the Google Nest Doorbell - battery version. Installed it and have it working with my Google Home/Assistant. I also paid the $5 and did “the dance” to got the integration setup towards Home Assistant.

I have tried out some stuff to understand what I can do with it, but it does not seem fully realiable;

• I have made an automation that triggers when someone press the doorbell. This one seems to work all fine.
  • I have made an automation that triggers when motion is detected. This one does NOT seem to work at all.
  • I also noticed that video clips are saved in “Media / Nest / Office doorbell: Recent Events” (that is the menu path in the UI). BUT it does not seem to save ALL clips. For example today I have so far 5 video clips saved - but in the Google Home app I got 11 video clips in the history for the last 3 hours.

So, to my questions;

1. How to troubleshoot “motion detected”, I assume it should work?

2. Why does the saving of video clips seem so random - isn’t it suppose to save all video clips?

I run Home assistant (HASS-OS) in Virtualization station on a QNAP NAS - always (or mostly) on the latest versions - currently 2022.11.

2 Likes

Not much help with my response; but I have pretty much exactly the same issue, Person Detection is not working, the integration only shows a single sensor as streaming:

And supported_features: 2

the Automation I have set up doesn’t work:

alias: Notify when person is detected by doorbell on Lounge TV
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: device
    device_id: [redacted]
    domain: nest
    type: camera_person
condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: media_player.lounge_tv
    state: "on"
action:
  - service: notify.lounge_tv
    data:
mode: single

The Nest app has notifications enabled:

So I am puzzled, is the integration broken somehow?
I am sure I allowed all permissions when configuring the Authentication (info here: Google Nest integration)

If someone knows anything, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

My config looks basically exactly the same (only difference I could find was the frontend_stream_type which I have set to web_rtc).

My “person detection” seems to work fine. Haven’t really used it more than creating a notify to the companion app to try it out, still my “motion detection” does not seem to work.

Maybe somewhat relevant: after I have enabled the Nest Aware subscription to recognize faces at the front door, the automation to turn on the porch lights has stopped working reliably. It seems as if when a (familiar) face is detected, they don’t send a person detected event anymore. That would be fine, if there was a face detected event which could be added as an additional trigger. But that doesn’t seem to exist. Hence: Using Nest Aware + enabling face detection reduces the functionality in Home Assistant.

1 Like

How did you get the notification if someone press the doorbell? I only have the streaming sensor enabled and can’t find anyway to integrate notifications or other things like motion detection.

2 Likes

I just created a test automation using the GUI in HA, like below.
(Person detected and Doorbell pressed works fine, Motion detected not)

How did you integrate it? I have the google nest integration and all I got is the camera streaming.

Now I am trying to use Node-Red but I have some issues there.

I followed the steps layed out in the Google Nest integration page:

And do you have the person and motion detection sensors? Chime sensor as well?

Can you tell me how you can create automations using those sensors?

I did the same and the device shows only the streaming entity.

Thanks

1 Like

I don’t think I have them as “sensors”….

As mentioned above - when creating an automation I just base the trigger on a device (the doorbell) and then select any of the Doorbells triggers (see pic):

I feel this was working when I tested it a year or two ago but recently when moving my automations to Node-Red, realised this wasn’t working and can’t seem to get any triggers working for Person detected or Motion detected.
I guess the integration is broken?

Same issue. Anyone with a fix?

How do you get it to save the clips locally?

I find that since my Nest Aware trial subscription expired that playing the clips on the app just DOESN’T work.

Once in a while I can get it to skip ahead to another still frame. But playing the clips doesn’t work.