Google Nest Hub as Dashboard with DashCast add-on

thanks @chiahsing , just found this discussion. I am interested in setting this up for my home. Just wondering whether this only works with 2nd gen of Google Nest Hub ?

@emersonsc http://192.168.0.2:8123/dashboard-nesthub/kamera1

change to something of my own

http://homeassistant.local:8123/lovelace/tablet

Still asks for a username and password on my nest hub

Show configuration ,the method given by @kg23 works?

Hi all,
I hope i may highjack this thread for an issue i have with casting a Dashboard View to my Home Nest Hub 2.
I created a Dashboard with multiple Views for the Google Net Hub. The main View has buttons to the other views, which on their turn have a link back to the main view.
Switching from main view to the second view works OK, But switching back, I can’t get it to work.
I already made an entry in an other thread with the configuration details, but I did not get any response on my question.
Please look at my config here: Cast and re-cast a lovelace view to a Google Hub - #143 by seanmccabe

Hopefully someone on this thread can help me with this?
Kind regards, Bert

EDIT:
Sorry, I found a solution by using an other card for the return to the Home View, which works

Hi, thanks for the tip !

With this method is there still the 10 minute timeout at which the dashboard needs to be cast again to the Nest Hub ?
(Because you can bet that everytime I want to interact with my dashboard it has to reload because of this timeout… It drives me crazy when in a hurry :upside_down_face:)

Right now I use CATT with a python script, it works fine but was a pain to set up.

I use ha-catt-fix (GitHub - swiergot/ha-catt-fix: A solution for the timeout issue when casting Home Assistant using CATT) to fix the 10-minute timeout issue.

2 Likes

I love being able to use DashCast to send my dash the nest hub.

Curious if there’s a way to modify the automation to check whether something else is already being displayed or not, though. If I want to play music through Spotify, for example. If I try to cast to my Nest device, the automation in the original form will see that it isn’t running DashCast on the hub and will restart the script. I don’t know enough about automations yet to have it check that nothing else is currently playing on the device before hijacking the music/video broadcast and restarting DashCast

I’m using this to fix the 10 minute timeout issue for AppDaemon / HADashboard dashboards. For newbies (like me), you just get the ha-catt-fix.js script from the GitHub site, drop it into the “custom_javascript” folder in the AppDaemon config folder (create it if it isn’t there) and restart AppDaemon. That’s it. The file and the fix will be picked up by any dashboard automatically. It works like a charm!

The media_player entity has a state, idle, playing etc. Use it as a condition.

Hi,
I try to use this for my HA on Nest hub but although I have:

homeassistant:
  auth_providers:
    - type: homeassistant
    - type: trusted_networks
      trusted_networks:
        - 192.168.xx.xxx # my Google Nest Hub IP
      trusted_users:
        192.168.xxx.xxx: <long user id>
      allow_bypass_login: true

and using the script, it is not passing by this screen:

I think my problem is somewere around the connection link that I have and is something like this:

https://192.168.xxx.xxx:8123/lovelace-tableta/home

and I don’t have a certificate for internal link but only for external link.
If I use external link it presents me a login screen on Google Nestbut I cannot interact with it nor with “trusted network” link bellow it:

Any ideeas?
Thanks

I think you probably answered your own question: it’s very likely that Nest Hub refuses to show sites with invalid certificates. Use http internally may solve the problem.

Hi,
Now I have external SSL access and internal http access and yet I cannot cast on Google Nest.
This is when I cast:

And this is after I press “Trusted Networks”

The config is the same as in my last post.

Your config looks alright to me, not sure why HA rejects the authentication. Maybe double check the IP of the device and see if there’s anything useful in the logs?

I had the same problem. Try to move - type: homeassistant after - type: trusted_networks. Looks like the order is important.

change config to:

homeassistant:
  auth_providers:
    - type: trusted_networks
      trusted_networks:
        - 192.168.24.132  # my Google Nest Hub IP
      trusted_users:
        192.168.24.132: 49757b735069438885931ca0048b3b4c
      allow_bypass_login: true
    - type: homeassistant

and the result is that now it shows first the trusted networks login:

I found out that dashboards cannot be casted using neighter dashcast nor catt and can only be casted by Nabu Casa account and Google Cast integration.
Thank you all for all the help.

Hello;

I love this script and it’s working almost perfectly. However, every time the dashboard is recast, such as on restart of HA, it lowers the volume so nothing can be heard from the hub. Is there any chance to fix that problem?

You can simply remove media_player.volume_set service call. But you will hear the ‘bing’ sound when it is casted. I also have a pyscript version that can mute the player before casting and resotre the volume when it is done so that you will only hear a much lower ‘duh’ sound. I’ll polish it a bit and publish it later.