Google-Nest Offical Device Access Console Finally Released!

Hi, you aren’t missing anything – it is incomplete and a work in progress. The next Home Assistant release includes a feature to save the most recent ~1k clips per camera on disk. There are other improvements coming like thumbnails in the grid view (for image snapshots this is done, but mp4 clips are in progress since they need transcoding). (You can see some of this in a dev build if feeling brave or on a test instance.)

We also need to include more documentation about for APIs for accessing the clips, etc though happy to work with someone who is interested in driving this forward, making blueprints, example automations, etc.

4 Likes

hi all,
first of all big kudos to this great forum.
it already helped me a lot as a newbie to home assistant. absolutely loving it.
didn’t want to open a new topic and thought this ongoing threat might be right one.
feel free to guide me to another source which might answer my question already.

my question:
i have 1 google nest doorbell (battery) and 2 nest outdoor cameras (battery). all not wired, really running on battery.
i was able to integrate them into my home assistant setup and included individual “picture glance” cards to have access to them.
as they are running on battery, i don’t want to have the live stream switched on all the time.
i was wondering if i can add a button in my dashboard which toggles the live stream from the cameras whenever i want to have a live view across all cameras (and also switch the live stream off again with the same button).

any ideas how to implement this best?

many thanks

Hi

I have similar setup + another 2 Nest Cameras. The nest cameras do have a swithc to turn on/off the streaming. It can be also be controlled by the nest home/away feature.

However, the new cameras don’t have such option (at least officially released yet). There are some integrations (like the Homebridge Google Nest Sdm) that expose the motion sensors of the cameras.

I’m afraid the Google-Nest ecosystem will still require a couple of iterations to integrate everything in the APIs so it can be consumed by 3rd party installations.

Thanks.
when integrating a “picture glance” card for a google nest cam (battery), i can select in the drop down menue “camera view (optional)” either (i) auto or (ii) live.
as a standard i chose “auto” (to save battery), but i was hoping to switch to “live” via a separate button whenever i want to have a live view across all nest cams just out of fun.
looks like this is not possible for now.

we shall wait and see …

My best thought I have is to create a separate lovelace panel that you switch to with the cameras set to live mode.

1 Like

Forget about it man, Nest cameras barely work with HA. The stream from API is not the same stream that is used by Nest apps. It’s delayed and it breaks a lot in HA, these cameras are useless. I’m looking to ditch them and use proper CCTV instead.

Also, the fact they still didn’t put immersion heating / water heating in the API makes me hate this company even more.

Hi,

try using Low Latency HLS if you are seeing delays. Nest - Home Assistant this cuts latency to two seconds. This is not specific to nest.

I also have built a RTSPtoWebRTC addon based on the custom component that will be supported in the next home assistant release that gives realtime latency.

2 Likes

Also, what you are talking about is not relevant to the person you are talking to said. They have the new webrtc cameras that already have zero latency.

Would it be possible to get the persons name, if camera detected as a “familiar face” though the event service?

1 Like

Hi @corvy – that data is not available through the API. Right now Home Assistant implements every possible feature the SDM API provides, and I recently added a table on the integration instructions showing each camera and what the SDM API supports.

2 Likes

I was attempting to setup 2 automations to change the Preset on my nest thermostat. When I test the automation to change the preset to eco, it doesn’t stick. By that I mean if I watch the thermostat in the google home app, I can see the preset change to eco then a second later it changes back to the mode it was in prior.

So if I have the thermostat set to Comfort (which doesn’t appear to be a preset option in the integration) and use the service call climate.set_preset_mode to change it to eco, the google home app (on my phone) will flash eco then go right back to Comfort.

Also, if I manually set Eco in the google home app, the ha integration shows preset_mode: none.

Would you mind filing an issue in github? Reporting issues - Home Assistant it should get routed to me to have a look.

The first issue sounds like a nest API issue if its not accepting the RPC, and having it recorded in github will make it easier if i can reproduce and speak to the nest API team about it. Thank you!

Sure thing. Thank you.

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/1716#issue-1103678584

Her is the bug report. Hope I did it correctly. This was my first bug report.

apologies, can you file under home assistant core? Thank you

Sorry. Just opened a new post and closed the other.

This integration and the support for WebRTC made me upgrade from older Nest cameras to new ones. Thanks for this @allenporter.

However, I’m having trouble building automations based on events from newer Nest Cams / Doorbell (battery).
I enabled logging and see some events like this below. Cool that it states the zone, but I can’t figure which camera that is and automation seems to not pick up these events at all.

2022-01-17 12:12:08 DEBUG (MainThread) [google_nest_sdm.event] EventMessage raw_data={'eventId': '06f3fd9b-ecc6-4bf6-95a1-cc9bdec27023', 'timestamp': '2022-01-17T20:11:39.525Z', 'resourceUpdate': {'name': 'enterprises/4c1b39fe-0382-42ad-9113-4666cfdab10f/devices/AVPHwEtBGHMFvj9qbrWNjNZEkL1xSVt9tDOxw_cWrzn0jLd5z1Nu-rVkawJkqKgqLVKWV3Jla6h1exJ7A-SobMjXTyDfpA', 'events': {'sdm.devices.events.CameraPerson.Person': {'eventSessionId': '1641509262', 'eventId': '115368490', 'zones': ['Zone 1']}}}, 'userId': 'AVPHwEtxsEotC10cSSFzMH8vEtI-raJtCYLojbqfgsRp', 'eventThreadId': 'e361ee6b-6aa6-4b9f-a4fd-e30082cdcb36', 'resourceGroup': ['enterprises/4c1b39fe-0382-42ad-9113-4666cfd*****/devices/AVPHwEtBGHMFvj9qbrWNjNZEkL1xSVt9tDOxw_cWrzn0jLd5z1Nu-rVkawJkqKgqLVKWV3Jla6h1exJ7A-SobMjXTyDfpA'], 'eventThreadState': 'ENDED'}

Also, are the events that SDM tracks related to Google Home notification settings? Or it should communicate all events, no matter what the user settings are?

Not sure how, but the events work fine now. I was playing with a service account and its permissions but maybe it’s unrelated.

As for my second question — I believe user settings do influence what SDM processes. That’s not perfect, but ok.

Hi,
Yes, user settings influence the API. Think of it like privacy features you are enabling or disabling in the API. Also Nest - Home Assistant mentions what contribute to the behavior of this, including google home or google nest app settings, just saying this for completeness.

I have never seen zones show up in the event messages before! Wow, lots of folks ask for that so i’d like to see how consistently these show up.

1 Like

@mountain I am seeing that the new WebRTC cameras may be supporting zones with an undocumented features. I filed Nest camera zones undocumented feature · Issue #186 · allenporter/python-google-nest-sdm · GitHub to explore this.