Google-Nest Offical Device Access Console Finally Released!

Since about two weeks ago, I have a Nest directory appeared which is accumulating snapshot photos of motion events. Is there a way of limiting the amount of time these are kept for, or turning it off?

I know I could write an automation to delete them, but wanted to know if there was something built in. I can’t figure out from the documentation how they are enabled/disabled.

Hi, the amount is limited already to around 1k per device to be a reasonable disk size based on the average snapshot size.

See Nest - Home Assistant which describes the permissions that enable/disable this feature, and see troubleshooting for a link to permissions page.

1 Like

Hi Allen and others, I have currently 1 Nest account that is serving both my new and old house. I have an HA instance at my old house still running and a new HA instance running at the new house. Could I get away with having 2 HA instances communicating with Nest until I finish moving and disable the old HA instance? If so, is there anything I should be aware of or any special ways to handle it?

On another note, I am curious if the new nest cam (in my case the sspotlight) will ever work like the old Nest cams in HA, so that I would be able to see a preview of the camera in the dashboard? Currently you just get a black box and you have to select it and then it will load the stream, but its quite convienent the way the old cameras work where you can see them by glancing at a wall tablet running HA for example. Is this something that could come in the future or never will do to limitations of the new google home api? thanks

I run 4 or 5 instances for doing development and it all works fine. I sometimes do this with multiple nest SDM project ids and oauth ids, or sometimes do it with sharing them. The only thing to watch out for is you may see higher rate limiting if you have multiple home assistant instances sending commands to extend the stream or run automations, etc.

For your question about previews see Nest - Home Assistant which describes how to show the the live stream in the grid.

1 Like

Thanks Allen! I was able to successfully add it to the 2nd instance, so far so good. I just copied over the configuration.yaml settings, added nest and did the authorization. So far it appears to be working good in both instances.

Regarding the webrtc camera live streaming in the dash, I apologize for not re-checking the Integration docs before asking, that was added since i last read it. So far it looks like its working really good, is my assumption correct that it will actually work better than the older cameras that use rtsp since (if i understand the docs correctly) the webrtc allows for a direct local network connection to the camera rather than having to stream it to the cloud and then stream it back? It also appears to be more “live” than the rtsp streams as well which seems to be more of a new thumbnail capture from the stream every few seconds (when displayed on the dash).

Thanks so much for the amazing work on this integration!

My impression is that it still will go through the cloud, based on looking at the network traffic. In my experience, it does seem more reliable to me than the existing RTSP based cameras. However, there are fewer features in home assistant supported since home assistant can record or take image thumbnails from rtsp streams, but not webrtc streams, etc. (more on this below)

Regarding thumbnail behavior: The default behavior for the home assistant entity card is to show an image from the RTSP stream. You can however also have a stream inline with a picture glance card set to live for RTSP streams too. It’s just with WebRTC that the image snapshot isn’t supported at all, so you have to use that method.

Regarding feed and images/thumbnails:

I’m trying to send an image to my telegram, using the example from the nest camera documentation, but only the text arrives. Can’t identify any related error nor warning in the logs.
I’m using the following code:

data:
  title: Someone pressed the doorbell
  data:
    image: >-
      /api/nest/event_media/X3b1ef4636d68b7fdae2c220fe67f11a/XyIxNjMxMDYxODkxIiwgIm46MSJd/thumbnail

If I replace notify.telegram with notify.mobile_app_oppo_find3_pro , both text and image is being pushed as notification to my mobile app.

I am using a nest doorbell battery.

I would guess whilst the mobile app know where that URL is, Telegram has no idea. I think you would need to provide a full url.

And where/how to find that URL?

Put the external url you use to access your ha instance on the start of the one in the messsge you are sending to Telegram. You can check if it works by trying to access the url via any browser.

If I’m trying to push the image via the external URL, I get a notification in HA with Login attempt failed from the host&IP address of my HA instance.

In which case I doubt it will work from to telegram. To be honest I can’t help further than this, I could just see you didn’t send a url, but I don’t use Telegram so don’t know what is possible to achieve from HA.

@joem My impression is there are two things here:

• That does not look like the telegam message format described in the integration? Telegram - Home Assistant – perhaps you can confirm you can get it working for any image url (e.g. something on a public website) to show that you can get images to work?
  • The general problem here is how do you get telegram to serve authenticated media content from home assistant. I think the architecture support for this was added as discussed in https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/discussions/711 and now telegram integration needs to adopt this capability. Perhaps worth creating a separate community post for this feature request for telegram? Ideally from a user perspective you should be able to give it a relative media url and it should serve it for you, like what you have confirmed working with the mobile apps, and telegram does not appear to support that yet.
1 Like

Thanks Allen for your input.

• I just took a random webcam URL (jpg), replaced the link in the automation with it, and it got pushed to my telegram.
  • That discussion is way over my knowledge, so I’ll better keep out. I’m going to open a separate thread here on the forum.

I have the same problem. If you get it works, please, post the solution.

Is anyone else running into the problem of google requiring you to verify your app because the scopes are sensitive?

I’ve never seen this happen. Are there extra setting enabled that put it into a different category of integration? E.g. different oauth consent flow options enabled.

Hello,

I hope I’ll find some help on this post. I run Google Nest integration since the beginning and recently want to update the new method with OAuth instead callback URL.

I recreate everything from scratch (projet on cloud console, project on SDM…)

I’ve always this error : Erreur 400 : invalid_request / redirect_uri: urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob

Anything have an idea ? I’m stuck :confused:

Thanks a lot

I’m having some trouble since the message is in English but I suspect this may be due to using oauth for web credentials with the oauth for apps/desktop flow? I recommend watching the video and following the setup steps there.

Also see Nest - Home Assistant which has trouble shooting tips including this error message. (It has basically what I said above)

Some discussion in https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/issues/21873 looks relevant.