Google Pixel Tablet

Looks like a quite promising wall tablet for HA, among other things.

Not sure how well it will work on a wall… it’s designed for tabletop positioning. Sure, the tablet can detach, but that removes it’s ability to use th eattached speaker… I think.

The (relatively) high specification and price suggests would make a very good desktop controller - which fits with the stated design aim (prevent tablets with discharged batteries not being used in drawers).

The Google I/O keynote demonstration suggests:

• When magnetically docked, the tablet works like a Next Hub Max via Chromecast.
    HASS can cast both a full web touch-screen interface, and all media including camera video. Works very well on the £220 Hub Max and £90 Hub. I’ve seen 3D models for wall mounting both Hub variants.
  • When removed, the tablet works as a high-performance Android tablet.
    The HASS Android client works on tablets, and does support landscape screens.

It might be possible to design and 3D print a magnetic mount with four pogopins for power and even speakers on a wall, but a cheap “Android land-fill” tablet is likely to be 4+ times cheaper for (almost) the same outcome (£599 verses £150 for a Samsung Tab A, less for no-brand kit).

If this helps, :heart: this post!

1 Like

Android is a pig. To get great performance you have to run it with a lot of RAM and fast SSD compared to a much simpler HTML5 rendering platform that the mics and speaker capabilities to use it like a good smart display. Lots of iphone users use google homes, but good luck getting them to have to deal with android.

I get that Google is trying to get back into tablets after abandoning them back in the nexus 7 days, but the fact Nest wasn’t mentioned at all during IO was not a good sign. iPad rules the roost here and I predict this will win 0 market share from Apple.

And the tablet may be a nice tablet, but at $499 it doesn’t take the place of a Nest hub. Maybe if you are single and no one else is in the home, you can pick up and move it between a few $129 speaker docks, but that won’t work in a family situation.

It’s a bummer that the Google Pixel Tablet isn’t hitting the mark for you. The struggle between performance and simplicity seems like a tough balance to strike. And you’re right, the iPad does have a strong hold in the tablet realm. If you’re considering exploring other options or looking to upgrade, to sell your Google Pixel online could be a good move. There are platforms that make the selling process hassle-free, giving you the chance to switch to a device that better suits your needs. Hopefully, with time, Google will fine-tune their tablets to offer a more competitive edge.