Google speakers showing as "unavailable" then "turned off" a few times each day (at similar times) for every speaker

Can anyone comment on the subject. I have pasted a few screenshots below from the logbook. Some of these speakers are right next to a wifi access point and the the “dining room wifi” is a node access point for my google wifi system.

Does anyone else have this behavior showing in their systems?

These drops don’t seem correct to me.

And lastly: Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on or does anyone have any ideas of how to correct this behavior?

Thank you all so much for any thoughts because I’m at a loss (It seems to be every speaker).

The Google speakers go into some kind of standby mode after a a short idle time. If you then play something, they make some kind of bootup sound.

When your speakers are unavailable, are you able to play something? And while you’re playing music, are they still going to unavailalbe?

Thank you for this info Kenneth.

To be honest, this has been so random that it seems like it will be impossible to determine the cause. If you have a chance to quickly skim through the provided screenshots and see if you’re seeing the same thing as me—> It seems like it is happening overnight for some reason, more than any other time.

I have around 10 google homes of different types throughout the home and they all show this behavior no matter the distance from the router. Strangest thing I’ve ever seen.

I’ve noticed some errors in my log related to chromecast devices and I imagine this is the cause of those errors (devices kicking to unavailable)

I went into my logger yaml and added the below under the “filters:” area in an effort to remove the errors from my logs which worked but now I’m realizing it was probably related to this issue.

pychromecast.socket_client:
      - "Heartbeat timeout, resetting connection"
      - "Error reading from socket"
      - "Error communicating with socket, resetting connection"
      - "Failed to connect to service ServiceInfo"

Yeah, it’s weird. It doesn’t look like the “go into some idle mode after they stop playing”. Any other (wifi connected) devices where you see odd things on at these hours?

No, that’s why its blowing my mind. I’ve seen a few other reports of the google devices dropping randomly and then coming back so I figured I would start something here and see if anyone chimed in with a fix. I imagine people may be just ignoring them in the logs and going on with it because I’ve never had one cause problems of not working.

I had one recently disconnect and stayed unavailable and thats when I started looking into things and what you’ve seen in my logbook is kind of where I’m at, at the moment.

Thank you for taking a look at that for me, I’m lost as to what could be going on.

I’m having the same issue as you @wtstreetglow, but with a slight twist. The twist is that 4 out of 5 of my Google devices don’t have this issue.

I have two Google Nest Audio devices, one Nest Mini, and one Chromecast Audio that all work great with no issues. The device that goes “unavailable” for me when turned off is a Chromecast with Google TV.

I bought the ethernet adapter for it to see if that helped, but it doesn’t.

One thing I have noticed is that as soon as I open the Google Home app and tap the Chromecast with Google TV device, it is once again available in HA. Is it the same for you?

Did you ever get things fixed?

No sadly I never got things fixed but saw the same behavior. It wasn’t really making anything not work, but was just a nuisance in the logs, I finally put some statements the logger file to make the log items go away.

1 Like

I have exactly the same “problem”, it also happens on both my Android TV’s and on my Google (Nest?) Hub and Google Home Mini’s, I have no clue how to determine the problem for it though…

Ok, thanks for responding.

I have the same problem. I’m curious if it’s some sort of issue where HA polls too frequently and the Google home mini shuts down for a while?

Hi there, also experiencing this issue. The result is a very poor experience while casting, as casting of home assistant dashboards either freeze and become unresponsive, or just drop the cast and the device goes back to wallpaper mode. This happens many times throughout the day in my case

Same problem here. I have 3 nest mini 2 and the all turn to unavailable in the night. When i play music through google home the are available again. This is not so handy because ine of them gets used as a smart alarm clock, which doesn’t go off because of this issue.

Hi,
In my case I have 4 google speakers, 2 minis and 2 hubs. couple weeks ago I set up all them correctly and working, but for the last few days just the 2 hubs are working with google cast integration.
Distance to the mesh router cant be the problem, as long as the one of the minis is really close to the router. the four of them work well through google home app, and if I request something to the minis with voice, they work well. It is connection with HA.
I think that another good info is that I’ve “pinged” both minis from the HA server terminal addon and reaches without trouble.
any ideas?
thanks in advance

For now, I fixed it, deleting and reinstalling Google cast. Lets see if stable in the near future.

Hi @DUM, did reinstalling Google cast solve your issues? I experience the same issues with one of my speakers. Interestingly, the other one (that is further away from my AP works flawlessly).

I had to do it twice. First one worked with the two minis and one hub, but not my fourth google speaker, a hub.
Another deletion and reinstallation of google cast integration worked with the four of them.
I still don’t feel completelly sure this is a full solution.
Lets see if time changes my mind. up to now around 12h and still connected to HA, and apparently no error messages in the HA log file.

This happens to me too on just one device which, ironically, and like you, is very close to our main wi-fi access point and has a strong wireless signal. It didn’t happen when I used only Google Home and started not long after I installed Home Assistant (on a server near to the troublesome speaker, connected to the router by Ethernet). Sometimes I can get the speaker back by clicking the power button on my dashboard; at other times - as shown below - it becomes Unavailable and has no visible power button.

1 Like

I had the same problem. All Casting devices in an unavailable state.
FIx for me was, changing the DNS server on HA host machine to not use the internet provider DNS, but used the local DNS on the modem/router (192.168.0.1)