Google tts docs seems very inaccurate

The docs here Google Translate text-to-speech talks about a service named google_translate_say but at least in my HA there has never been a service by that name.
Instead, there has all along been one named tts.google_say
So, consequently none of the examples given in the docs will work in my HA.

Recently, the Google Translate service has been moved (relocated?) from YAML and into the front end, and the (new) service is named tts.speak and is installable as an integration using the GUI.

All this is fine, but the docs hasn’t been properly updated and is at best, very confusing.
I know that I as a user can update/correct the docs myself, but I have never been able to figure out how to do this without screwing up everything. Maybe a step-by-step guide on how to update docs exists somewhere?

There is a link at the bottom of the page for making improvement suggestions or if you would like to edit the page and submit an improvement yourself there is a link for that at the bottom of the page too.

The procedure for doing this is outlined here: Editing the Documentation and Creating a Pull Request on Github

It would be great if you could contribute to the community this way. Don’t be afraid of messing up. A developer will review your edit and make suggestions if needed.

1 Like

Yes, I tried to read that, but still didn’t manage to get it right. Perhaps it’s just me.
Anyway, about tts, I found this in my configuration.yaml :

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate
    service_name: google_say

But it’s been so long since I entered that, I can no longer remember from where I found it. But it worked, and still does. However, I cannot find anything anywhere in the docs explaining the above.

That was from before it could be set up in the UI. Assuming the integration is present in Devices and Services you can safely delete that yaml. You may even have errors about it in your logs.

Well, it still works and no errors in the logs.
I was just wondering - is there any way possible to find the the original (old) docs that explained the above (even though it has been depreciated)?

Probably because it has been imported into the UI. That is what you are actually using.