Google Wifi Integration (Custom Component)

@edersong I will do some testing to see if I can trace. Thanks!

@edersong - caught it. Stupid BEDMAS… I was missing some brackets. 0.1.11 fixes it.

@stigvi - I think it was related to timing of updates for the speed test sensor. I’ve put an extra catch in 0.1.11 which should fix the issue.

1 Like

Correction @stigvi the fix is in 0.1.12. Working parallel tasks today isn’t helping me!

Thanks. It is working great now and without errors. To be able to see the number of connected devices on the guest network is a great feature. I am planning some visitors automation now. But first of all I need to find which of my own devices are connecting to the guest network :slight_smile:

I am seeing a couple of mine that do that too. It almost looks like the Google Wifi system seems to assign a guest IP during connection to some devices before giving them a regular network address. More watching needed.

Unfortunately the IP range seems to be the only way to detect guest network. I think I may need to set my automation triggers so it only triggers on state change for 5-10 seconds so I only see devices that connect and stay connected to guest.

Yes, the “guest connection” this morning happened when my wife and I leaved for work and our two phones got disconnected. So I guess it is related.

Couple updates today which include:

• Sensors for the current upload/download traffic on the system
  • Attributes on each switch for MAC address, IP, Network (main/guest), and transmit/receive speed for realtime stats
  • Addition of MAC address to the device tracker connection to consolidate known devices

Still haven’t been able to figure out how to more accurately capture what devices are connected to guest vs. main network, but will keep sniffing and see if I can’t figure it out.

Just installed this today, All my device trackers are stating Away… The switch to turn off the internet to these devices works so I know it is seeing them properly. Anyone else seeing this with the latest version?
Thanks

Do you have any errors showing in your logs?

No nothing at all, I have realized I am a manager not the owner of the WiFi network so doing a factory reset now and will see if this is the issue.

That did the trick… All good here thanks

1 Like

@M203 I think this issue is fixed in the latest release. You should now get both systems and devices from each into Home Assistant via Home Assistant now.

1 Like

Works great now! Thanks!

Im having a hard time getting the token, it doesnt show up in the url or in the console after I authenticate myself. Any advice?

I highly recommend using the Chrome extension instead. Much easier.

FYI: The chrome extension also works on the new edge browser which is chromium based.

Thank you. Now the token was added but it makes no entities. The logs show errors setting up all the platforms. Im leaving 2 of the log entries as examples. Is there something I am supposed to do to configure it other than plugging in that token?

Logger: homeassistant.components.sensor
Source: custom_components/googlewifi/sensor.py:32
Integration: Sensor (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 8:56:31 AM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 9:12:36 AM

Error while setting up googlewifi platform for sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 199, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/config/custom_components/googlewifi/sensor.py", line 32, in async_setup_entry
    for system_id, system in coordinator.data.items():
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'items'

Logger: homeassistant.components.binary_sensor
Source: custom_components/googlewifi/binary_sensor.py:29
Integration: Binary sensor (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 8:56:31 AM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 9:12:36 AM

Error while setting up googlewifi platform for binary_sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 199, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/config/custom_components/googlewifi/binary_sensor.py", line 29, in async_setup_entry
    for system_id, system in coordinator.data.items():
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'items'

That looks like it might be related to an issue someone else had where they were the manager of the Wifi network, not the owner. I believe to pull / control via this method you need to be the owner of the network. It definitely looks like the integration isn’t getting valid data from the Google APIs.

I probably need to add better error handling for this, unfortunately haven’t been able to generate some of these errors in my own system.

Thats so weird. I set the system up and I should be the owner but when I look in the Google Home App it has me as a manager. Any idea on how to change myself to owner?

Unfortunately no idea. I think the other response the solution was a factory reset but that seems drastic. Might want to check the Google forums.