Govee Lights Will Not Turn Off

I have a few Govee devices all of which experience the same behavior. I can turn the lights on with an automation in Node Red, but the lights will not turn off in Node Red. The behavior seems unique to Govee devices.

When I examine a Govee device in ‘Developer Tools’ you can see the Govee light on as so. Govee1

However, when I click to turn the light off, the icons change to the image below:

The light does turn off at this point. I do not know why the extra step? Has anyone seen this?

Yes, I’ve seen the same thing and I think it has to do with the rate limiting.

I have 6 govee devices and because I have that many, I have to set the callback rate very high to not exceed my overall threshold of govee calls.

Depending on what yours is set to and how often you’re trying to do this, govee might be giving up halfway through.

I’ve noticed this ESPECIALLY in testing scenarios, the calls aren’t fast enough to keep up and it eventually freaks out and doesn’t offer the ‘correct’ communication.

As long as I don’t use them too much, they respond appropriately. I know that sounds dumb but the new API is on the way and this shouldn’t be a problem going forward.

I have very few govee automations because of this unreliability. I have two govee fans and I let alexa do the heavy lifting there because their API is mature.

Aside from a basic on/off 2-3 times a day, I wouldn’t put any more into it in home assistant right now. At least that’s the approach I’ve taken. Which sucks because the new govee api calls the effects and is one of the slickest implementations ive seen from a native vendor.

Im very excited for the new API to limit the kind of comm issues you’re mentioning and I’ve also observed🙂

I bought a 10 Govee light systems and the integration into HA is terrible. Govee has done the worst job in the world and the rate limiting is beyond a nightmare. I am pleased to hear they are bringing out a new API but I can’t find any information about it? Where does it even talk about it? As I am just about ready to ditch Govee and switch back to Hue.

i read about it in this thread/post: Govee integration - #900 by pssc

API Instructions: https://app-h5.govee.com/user-manual/wlan-guide?updateTime=181

Project on github: GitHub - Lumute/aiogovee

Looks like the API instructions were available starting in Aug/Sept and we’re just waiting on the build. Important to note that this only initially supports certain models (probably because their new API only handles some).

Thank you for all the links - I am sure me and a few others will find that a useful start!
Hope govee ups their game with API enhancements.

It’s the number 1 thing stopping me from buying more govee products.

1 Like

I’m assuming the new api still isn’t here yet? I’m still experiencing this exact issue. I’m in my office a lot more and that’s we’re most of my govee products are SMH. My other magic home led controllers and custom WLED controllers are so much more reliable.