GPIO on RPi5

Fellas, what about GPIO control on RPI5?

Will you please stop spamming this thread with RPI5 GPIO control?

This is about the Core release, so it has nothing to do with direct GPIO control since that was removed around a year ago.

You already had the information here, so please be patient.

I don’t use RPi anymore, the support for GPIO was removed some time ago. Have you looked at: GitHub - thecode/ha-rpi_gpio: Home Assistant Raspberry Pi GPIO Integration ? It’s unlikely that the support natively will come back.

Edit: @ShadowFist was ahead of me

Thanks for reply. Im using custom integration but it doesnt work on RPI 5 unfortunatelly. I have addressed it to developer already.

Ok, then you should submit a bug-report (or feature request) on their GitHub

Im patient as elephant ))) HA primarily designed to run on RPI SBCs, I dont understand why GPIO was abandoned as that is one of the most common advantages of that widely available and used board and that is its aim I would even say!
Most setups with an RPI running HA are placed near the main switchboard, making it perfectly feasible to use wired connections. Directly wiring to cheap, simple SSRs through GPIO pins ensures a dependable and efficient home automation system, far superior to the alternatives relying on wireless communication. This method not only capitalizes on the RPI’s strengths but also avoids the pitfalls and inconsistencies of radio-controlled devices.

1 Like

Let me clarify, in case my previous post wasn’t clear enough:

• Direct control for GPIO on Raspberry Pi was removed (not abandoned) over a year ago.
  • There was already a huge discussion around that time where reasons were given and alternative options for GPIO control explained.
  • This is a release thread. Posting here won’t bring back GPIO control.
  • You’re fully aware of the alternatives, since you’ve been posting on those threads too.
  • HA might have been primarily designed to run on RPI at the time since there weren’t many alternative options back then. Today, with all the available hardware, RPI installations are down to only around 45%.
  • The RPI5 is new (only 2.46% of HA installations are using it). Only a fraction of those people (like yourself) require direct GPIO control, so less people are inclined to investigate and fix the issue.
  • Based on the info provided in the other thread, the Pi5 uses GPIOs differently than the previous models. This makes it trickier to figure out and will probably require a separate integration.

Please be patient :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you for detailed explanaation. Over a year ago I have moved to altenatives such as custom integration. Unfortunatelly it doent work on RPI5, RPI developers changed the way of communication with GPIOs.
45% is still a huge number and with increasing demands for RPI boards (we all can watch pricing for new RPI boards) that means people are buying them. RPI 5 is way more capable board than RPI4 and it means it can both handle desktop and serve as server for HA, that was actually my purpose of buying it. Im currently using 2 RPI4s, one runs HAOS other rapspbian hooked to my touchscreen LCD on mains door.
Unfortunatelly I got around 10 SSRs in my switchboard and they are controlling many usefull things directly off the GPIO header. I dont see any reason to move to ZigBee or any other power switches as GPIO control is way more feasible and reliable.
Yes RPI 5 is new but potential is huge! I would even recommend to develop desktop interface within HAOS too in the future. Unfortunatelly my knowledge is limited I would develop it myself…
Theres plenty alternatives, but why unnecessary hardware or soft needs to be used making system less reliable?
Reason to migrate to RPI5 is also well known - I can run HAOS supervised in docker and use Raspberry OS on single board equipped with NVME drive which draws as much as half of energy and 10 times faster than SD and two RPI4s or any other solution - very important these days isnt it?
Im not even talking about voice control and AI features which are the way forward for the HA developers and community.
Anyways, thanks for your great work and commitment. I certainly love and appreciate all of your work!
till then my little fella remains silent impatiently waiting for solution…))