Gree Climate with external temperature sensor

Hi, I have Gree air conditioners with a heating function. I control them using the Gree Climate integration. I am not satisfied with the built-in temperature sensors. I was wondering if I could change the behavior of this integration and instead of the built-in sensors, use my own sensors that are already integrated with HA? Like “target_sensor:” in generic_thermostat ?

2 Likes

I wanted to do the same thing as the internal sensor is nigh useless in heating mode, but haven’t found a solution. I wonder if it can even be accomplished without modifying the firmware, which is probably impossible or at least impractical. The workaround I came up with was to make an automation and a couple of helpers to create a custom thermostat, basically. The idea is that HA turns the AC on and off and sets the temp to its min or max depending on whether the mode is heating or cooling (set using an input) and whether the temp is below/above target temp +/- hysteresis (another input). It probably has a negative impact on overall efficiency, but I hope it’s not too bad… Probably could be tuned somehow by testing what actual (external setting) temperature a given internat sensor temperature corresponds to, but I don’t think it would be very reliable. Here is my automation:

alias: AC Parter Heat/Cool
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - sensor.ble_temperature_a4c13887fe05
      - input_number.parter_ac_temperature_setpoint
      - input_select.parter_ac_mode
action:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: template
            value_template: >
              {{ states('sensor.ble_temperature_a4c13887fe05')|float <
              states('input_number.parter_ac_temperature_setpoint')|float - 1
              }}
          - condition: state
            entity_id: input_select.parter_ac_mode
            state: Heat
        sequence:
          - service: climate.set_hvac_mode
            target:
              entity_id: climate.1e8a1d91
            data:
              hvac_mode: heat
          - service: climate.set_temperature
            target:
            data:
              temperature: 30
      - conditions:
              {{ states('sensor.ble_temperature_a4c13887fe05')|float >
              states('input_number.parter_ac_temperature_setpoint')|float + 1
              }}
            state: Heat
        sequence:
          - service: climate.turn_off
            target:
            data: {}
      - conditions:
              {{ states('sensor.ble_temperature_a4c13887fe05')|float >
              states('input_number.parter_ac_temperature_setpoint')|float + 1
              }}
            state: Cool
        sequence:
          - service: climate.set_hvac_mode
            target:
            data:
              hvac_mode: cool
          - service: climate.set_temperature
            target:
            data:
              temperature: 16
      - conditions:
              {{ states('sensor.ble_temperature_a4c13887fe05')|float <
              states('input_number.parter_ac_temperature_setpoint')|float - 1
              }}
            state: Cool
        sequence:
            target:
      - conditions:
            state: "Off"
        sequence:
            target:

And this is what it looks like in my UI:

Świetna robota Łukaszu!

I also thought about taking the control into my own hands. Additionally, I see two unused connectors on the motherboard: “Dry Contact” (I guess it allows the device to stop working when the window is open) and “Wired controller”, about which I haven’t found any information yet. I thought maybe it could be used for better control. I found charts somewhere on the Internet which showed that the factory hysteresis of such devices is 3 degrees Celsius - it’s not very comfortable, but it may be due to the specificity of this solution (the compressor needs time to start?) and maybe it has to be that way. Anyway, I’ll try to start with your automation. I’m glad you shared it here.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention: in my device, the ambient temperature sensor is located on the right side under the housing. The indoor unit can be connected to an outdoor unit on both sides. If you have a connection on the right side, it is possible that the installer did not fill the hole through which the pipes go outside with foam (like mine) and then the sensor reading will be distorted by the cold air that enters there from the outside.

In my case the problem is that the internal sensor reports very high values in heating mode. Here is a comparison of the two:

In this particular situation, it seems to be about 6C above what the external sensor is showing (granted, it is on the opposite side of the room and much lower). A wired controller would be a good solution, I think, as it would act as an external sensor, most likely. Some models can also use the remote this way, so you could hang it on the wall somewhere. It’s not really an ideal solution for me, because my units are in a cottage I’m renting and I want to have control over things like the min and max temp that can be set, which is why I implemented my crude solution. I will have to experiment a bit and see if it’ll work consistency if I tell the automation to set the AC target temp to +5/6 of the target temp selected in the UI. If that works somewhat reliably, then the unit could manage it’s operation on its own, which would probably increase efficiency a bit.

Yes, wired controllers usually have a built-in temperature sensor. You can also try to extend the cables of the indoor unit sensor to place it in a better place. The only drawback is the cables on the wall. Can your guests use a wireless remote controller, or have you installed a home assistant panel to set the temperature? Because if they use a remote control, if they click any button, all your settings from the HA are replaced with the current settings from the remote controller.