Grouped light control

The polymer implementation looks pretty okay. Would need some cleaning up but it’s a good start. With such an implementation the group extension on the server side wouldn’t be needed and we could do it all in the frontend, including generating a combined state.

I don’t like the group modification. The group component should not be aware of any implementation details of other component. It should be able to work 100% independently. Without modification the frontend already has all the knowledge it needs to know.

I think there may be some value in having the combined state computed by subclasses of Group for a few reasons

1. The combined state may be useful to other components. For example, what if I had a group of 3 sensors and wanted to perform some automation based on their combined value? By exposing the combined state users get that ability right out of the box. In my opinion it makes intuitive sense that by grouping some “things” of the same type the system will give you some sane combined values to use.

2. There will always have to be domain specific logic pertaining to groups somewhere if group control beyond on/off is going to be supported. The logic is identical to do it fully client side, ex: the brightness of a group of lights would still need to be calculated by getting all of their states and averaging the brightness.

3. It may result in less code reuse and duplication. Domain specific logic can be reused in group subclasses where it might need to be re-implemented in javascript to generate useful combined state client side.

The group component is essentially unmodified in my proposed solution. If a group does not belong to a single domain or does not have a domain specific subclass then nothing has changed. In the case where it does have a domain specific subclass that domain specific code is as minimal as possible, is confined to a single file, and does not affect the behavior of the group. It only adds domain specific state attributes.

Then again I don’t have much experience with python, nuclearjs, or polymer so I may be missing a more elegant solution. What are your thoughts?

I am not a big fan of just having a group show averages of values. It makes little sense. For the frontend we can just use the first state and after their first interaction with the controls the state will be the same anyway.

I am not too concerned not supporting a group showing attributes within Home Assistant because that’s not a problem I’ve ever heard off. We shouldn’t try to solve problems that people don’t have, especially if we have to sacrifice component independence.

For automation, if people really want something like that, they can probably already do it today with the tmeplating language but I doubt it’s really useful at all.

I think the most important use case is being able to set the brightness or color of a group of lights. I have four Hue lights at home and it’s really annoying setting the color for all of them.

OK, I see your point now and I agree. I will try to come up with a client only solution.

OK I came up with a client only solution. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

https://github.com/fignuts/home-assistant-polymer/commit/03ede95d834d7d4077761a71457702cf847c16ce

And what about exposing the list of groups that are in the Hue bridge? Unlike LIFX, Hue bridge cannot receive 5+ API calls asynchronously, so for me, I don’t mind adding 5 bulbs to a Hue group so that I can execute something such as this:

curl -X PUT -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d $1 http://philipshue1/api/$APIKEY/groups/1/action

where $1 is JSON code for brightness, color, and transition time, “philipshue1” is your bridge’s host name or IP address, and $APIKEY is the username assigned in the bridge. Oh, and “1” is the Group ID.

The last time I checked in the Philips Hue component, there’s already a group class, but Home Assistant does not expose the list of groups.

1 Like

That solution would be platform (hue) specific. The one in the commit above is a more general case for any group of devices.

I have had no issue controlling 5 hue bulbs at the same time using this solution. The hue bridge seems to have no problem with the extra api calls. If you can figure out how to make HA automatically pick up on hue’s built in group functionality that would be cool! I am not interested in investigating it myself however since the general solution seems to work fine and my time is limited.

I agree with most of the above points (too many api calls will fail : I have about 20 hue + lifx) so had to resort to light groups and hundreds of scenes, especially color profiles change depending on light versions (strips vs bulbs, etc). In the end I set up sliders linked to scenes for group brightness (with booleans to select subgroups + automations to reset switches for the group once one has been activated). I used a wider range (10-100 for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 until 300) and with templating it’s been working great. Only thing that bugs me are the logbook entries for those light groups that I cannot disable with logbook_hidden = true :confused: I also managed dynamic timers and manually switching on/off the lights triggering my dynamic timers. Delay is acceptable (less than 2 seconds) but I still have much cleaning up to do (8100 lines total) before sharing.

I’m curious if this Has this been resolved into a workable solution that I may have missed? I have multiple instances of Cree bulbs via Wink Hub (due to old non-neutral wired switches) in overhead room lighting such as my kitchen, dining room, and ceiling fans. To make the transition to HA (and the interface) more user friendly to my wife and kids I would prefer to just have a single switch for the Ceiling Fan as opposed to a group switch for the kitchen with 4 bulb switches below it.

I thought about setting a up scene but those don’t seem to have a true ‘off’.

I thought this may have been possible through using a switch template but have not had any luck yet.

Basically, create a switch that is tied to the group.ceiling_fan_light. I don’t really understand the template command, but this seems dependent on the actual switch state. Is there a way to make it independent?

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      fan:
        friendly_name: 'Fan Light'
        value_template: "{{ is_state('group.ceiling_fan_light', 'on') }}"
        turn_on:
          service: switch.turn_on
          entity_id: group.ceiling_fan_light
        turn_off:
          service: switch.turn_off

I’ve managed to use a switch template and a pair of script to add an input_slider to my front end and control a set of bulbs. It’s an ugly solution though. It doesn’t do color or temperature, the slider doesn’t drop to 0 when off and it only poles a single bulb for the brightness attribute, but it works…

configuration.yaml:

input_slider:
  livingroom_brightness:
     name: Brightness
     initial: 254
     min: 0
     max: 254
     step: 1
sensor:
  platform: template
  sensors:
    current_livingroom_brightness:
      friendly_name: 'Current Brightness'
      value_template: '{{ states.light.floor_lamp.attributes.brightness }}'

automation.yaml:

- alias: Keep Livingroom brightness slider in sync
    hide_entity: True
    trigger:
      platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.current_livingroom_brightness
    action:
      service: input_slider.select_value
      data_template:
        entity_id: input_slider.livingroom_brightness
        value: '{{ trigger.to_state.state }}'

- alias: Living Room Lights Adjust Brightness
    hide_entity: True
    trigger:
      entity_id: input_slider.livingroom_brightness
    action:
      - service: light.turn_on
        data_template:
          entity_id: group.living_room_lights
          brightness: '{{ trigger.to_state.state | int }}'

Finished product:

4 Likes

Is it possible to effect a scen instead of a group? I tried this but it will not work!(?) If i replace with a group it works.

automation:
  - alias: Ljusstyrka
    trigger:
      entity_id: input_slider.silder1
    action:
       service: light.turn_on
       data_template:
         entity_id: scene.kvllsbelysning
         brightness: '{{ trigger.to_state.state | int }}'

I don’t understand how this isn’t a feature. Nobody puts bulbs in fans or down ceiling lights? How can I be the edge case here?

2 Likes

You might have to change the service it’s calling from light.turn_on. I don’t have any scenes set up yet, so I can’t test, but that’s the first thing that stands out to me.

Will try that!

Your service should be light.turn_on. I had the same thought as you and got it working with that change.

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      fan:
        friendly_name: 'Fan Light'
        value_template: "{{ is_state('group.ceiling_fan_light', 'on') }}"
        turn_on:
          service: light.turn_on
        turn_off:
          service: light.turn_off
2 Likes

That worked! Awesome. now I can clean up the front end for the family.

Now, anyway to make this a dimmable/slider or does it have to remain a switch? I did not see anything in the components/template any may have overlooked it in my discussion search.

@Bahnburner has an input_slider for a group implementation above