Grouping Automations on frontend for organization

The Nabu team said that they are working on it, ETA this year.
Listen to the time marked video posted by Florian in post #302
This topic is closed.

3 Likes

I should hope they’re aware by now as the OP was from 2019 :sweat_smile:

Very much looking forward to this when it arrives; thanks in advance!

It’s been known for many years and actively worked on throughout that duration. I’ve stated this multiple times in this thread but no one reads my responses. They just come in here to say +1 or complain. It would be great if people would just vote, read the marked solution, and move on without drama.

It was your response that brought me here. No drama intended.

It was a general statement, not directed at you

Well, it’s hard to say that it’s been “actively” working… more like “passively”… in 4 years almost half of HA could be made, not just one automations list upgrade… let’s say that all these years it was way down on the priority list…
But, hey, it’s finally confirmed that it will be done, so congrats and thanks for that. Looking forward to it…

1 Like

Having rudly had my post removed due to “duplicate” I came looking for the duplicate to find this 4 year old thread showing that even now the feature is still wanted and not being addressed. In the space of 4 years a simple sub-folder system could have been implimented, im not sure what they are avoiding this for but i feel like its being actively shut down.

You did not read the post closely enough :laughing:

1 Like

There is a very good chance that Floors, Tags/Labels, and Categories (folders for frontend) will come soon. It may be as early as 2024.3 or 2024.4.

13 Likes

would be very useful. Voted.

This feature delay is bordering on the ridiculous. Every single HA youtuber complains about this. The devs are overcomplicating this feature apparently. PUT THE AUTOMATIONS IN SIMPLE FOLDERS. Period. HA is getting to be a pain in the rear to use. Why push users to use UI automations if it’s impossible to manage them? And obviously this topic has NOT BEEN SOLVED.

1 Like

Calm down. I gave an update 17 days ago stating that it would be in a soon to come release. It missed 2024.3, it will likely be in 2024.4 but may be delayed until 2024.5.

2 Likes

or in .6, or in .7, or… oh, well… we’re used to hear this now…
(btw…it’s 2024.4, not 2023.4 :innocent:)

Unlikely but possible. There’s a very large developer push for this at the moment. Testing and issues are the only thing that will delay it. Many of the features currently exist in the backend.

3 Likes

I looked to find the implementation branch or other developer discussion regarding the implementation of this. I could not find it.

Additionally, I have thought through (what I believe to be) a robust solution to this problem that would be flexible and require minimal modification to the existing UI and backend. I would love to be a part of the discussion and share my solution. It would also be an honor to work on this highly requested feature (I have a background in Python, React, and back-end programming).

Could you please assist by providing links to the current development discussions or branches so that I can offer my services?

Thank you in advance for your help.

floors (top 6 or so in the list)

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pulls?q=is%3Apr+floors

labels

There is probably more label PRs that are older. It’s been being implemented for multiple years at this point.

These 2 are the most recent dating only a few days/weeks back.

discussions happen here for the backend. Frontend has it’s own discussion section in the frontend repository.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ll look into it right away.

EDIT: For the others looking to follow this, here are some of the details I found:

A large portion of this work is being done by Frenck. If you look at his git commit history, you will can find anything I have missed here.

It seems that three registries are being worked on right now, namely, the Floor, Label, and Category. My understanding is that the Category registry is what most directly applies to the automation grouping. I have not found any front-end work for the categories, but the conversation seems to imply they will be used for a folder structure.

Floors:

Labels:

Category:

3 Likes

This is a feature request building on another very popular request:

Having a way to organize automations in the UI.

When building automations and scripts I often find that I need to create a few helpers to support it and make the automation work like I want. Input selects for different options, template sensors to verify specific conditions etc.

Outside of these automations these helpers are however rarely useful. I end up with a situation where my helper page is just cluttered with different helpers all tied to different automations.

Like many people want for automations, it would be nice with a way to organize these. I propose being able to create helper tied/scoped to specific automations/scripts. That is, they are only shown and accessible to the automations they are tied to. Sort of how in object oriented software design you have private variables.

I imagine having a section or tab inside the automation/script configuration page where you create and list helpers being used for that specific one.

I think it would help a lot with organization and keeping the UI nice and tidy. It would also make complex automations with many helper dependancies become a lot more readable and easier to get an overview of.

Could we have a toggle or button to select to group automations list by areas.

Like all devices/entities comes automatically to default dashboard grouped by areas.

That’s a nice idea. After all, helpers are necessarily associated with “something” they help with.