Grouping Automations on frontend for organization

Thank you so much! I’ll look into it right away.

EDIT: For the others looking to follow this, here are some of the details I found:

A large portion of this work is being done by Frenck. If you look at his git commit history, you will can find anything I have missed here.

It seems that three registries are being worked on right now, namely, the Floor, Label, and Category. My understanding is that the Category registry is what most directly applies to the automation grouping. I have not found any front-end work for the categories, but the conversation seems to imply they will be used for a folder structure.

Floors:

Labels:

Category:

3 Likes

This is a feature request building on another very popular request:

Having a way to organize automations in the UI.

When building automations and scripts I often find that I need to create a few helpers to support it and make the automation work like I want. Input selects for different options, template sensors to verify specific conditions etc.

Outside of these automations these helpers are however rarely useful. I end up with a situation where my helper page is just cluttered with different helpers all tied to different automations.

Like many people want for automations, it would be nice with a way to organize these. I propose being able to create helper tied/scoped to specific automations/scripts. That is, they are only shown and accessible to the automations they are tied to. Sort of how in object oriented software design you have private variables.

I imagine having a section or tab inside the automation/script configuration page where you create and list helpers being used for that specific one.

I think it would help a lot with organization and keeping the UI nice and tidy. It would also make complex automations with many helper dependancies become a lot more readable and easier to get an overview of.

Could we have a toggle or button to select to group automations list by areas.

Like all devices/entities comes automatically to default dashboard grouped by areas.

That’s a nice idea. After all, helpers are necessarily associated with “something” they help with.

Check out the PRs I linked above. There is a solution to this that was just merged, namely, labels and categories. Once released, organize your automations with categories. Then just add labels to the helpers to identify them as associated with the automation. In the near future there will be filtering based on labels. You could add the label “hide”, for example, and then filter out all of those helpers from the helper page.

As for linking associated helpers in the automation page, that is a separate feature request. Feel free to create one.

1 Like

Check out the PRs I linked above. Categories and labels are underway. Soon enough, filtering by category and label will exist.

2 Likes

If anyone wants to test out the new functionality coming in 2024.4, please check out the current beta. Everything I’ve mentioned up to this point is in the current beta 2024.4.0b0.

If you do join the beta program. Please take the time to join the discord server and post any issues you run into. Keep in mind, this is not an invitation to add more feature requests to the current beta.

Beta release notes are pinned in the Beta channel, this channel is where you will report any issues that arise.

EDIT

2024.4 has been released with Floors, Labels, and UI Categories

This topic will now be closed. If you have any Feature Requests for the new functionality, please create a new topic.

If you have any questions about the current implmentation, please create a new topic in Configuration.

29 Likes