Grouping of automations

I have seen several requests and responses regarding the use of folders to make automations more accessible. I personally use numbers in front of each automation to indicate the room or the purpose. Example, all devices in master bedroom start with 14, thus 14-11 MBR Evening; 14-12 MBR leaving, 14-13 MBR trip, etc etc.
That gives me some logic, but with well over 100 automations I still have to go through a long list.
I have seen some answers that folders are not needed, but I fail to understand why there is not a much better way to manage Automations. I find HA extremely powerful and it is constantly evolving, so why not fulfilling this need ?

Perhaps you’ve answered your own question. There are currently 2,489 official integrations, and God knows how many unofficial ones. The way people use HA varies wildly - a post the other day described a device to monitor the weight of a cat’s litter tray so that HA could turn on the ventilation when needed. I don’t see how the developers could possibly provide a management system that would meet the requirements of even a small percentage of users.

As it is, searching in the UI is very easy. Like you, I use the names of automations (and scripts and helpers) to group them, although I use a tagging system:

Better than folders, I think, because an automation can have three or four tags if required.

The configuration.yaml can be split up using !include; yaml files can be annotated as extensively as the user feels is necessary - I’m not what more can be done without creating a monster that helps no-one.

In the end it’s down to the user anyway. Any system takes effort. People who organise their automations effectively probably don’t need to; people who need to, probably don’t do it. 'Twas ever thus. :roll_eyes:

I, very respectfully and kindly, disagree. While I am not an experienced techie and even less a programmer, I don’t see why it would be difficult to have folders. Your suggestions on searching are valid but do not supercede the advantage of folders.
I evolved to HA from many years using the IoX from Universal Devices. They are a small company, though highly sophisticated and enthusiastic. Though HA suits my needs more, IoX does have an excellent folder system. We can have different tabs in the Overview, so why could we not have the same for Automations?

Absolutely. We need lots of different optional approaches. It’s just that I would have to see HA become a car crash like Windows. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like