Grouping of Lights (tradfri) & Alexa

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I run into the following problem:
When I expose my tradfri light groups via the tradfri commands, [ allow_tradfri_groups: true] I can fully control the created groups settings via Alexa, e.g. all turn on/off, or dim, or set to, commands work flawlessly. However, when I set [allow_tradfri_groups: false] and create my own groups in hassio the lights function only to the on and off commands, all other commands will be ignored. Is there something special i have to set upon group creation or customization of said groups?

Hass.io 0.57.3

Simple Group:

kitchen_lights:
  name: "Kitchen"
  entities:
    - light.lamp_kitchen1
    - light.lamp_kitchen2
    - light.lamp_kitchen3

Customization:

group.kitchen_lights:
      emulated_hue_hidden: false
      friendly_name: Kitchen
      emulated_hue_name: "Kitchen"

Let me know what you guys think!

tl;dr:

• tradfri created groups can be fully controlled via Alexa
  • self created groups only partly.

No ideas on fixing it properly but I had the same problem with my Yeelights. I got around it by creating the groups in HA for automations but not exposing them with emulated_hue, just the individual lights, and then creating the groups in the Alexa app too.

HA still knows the group state because it can sense what the individual light state is so all related functions work exactly the same.

thx for your reply
I was just going through the “closed pull requests” for 0.58.1 and stumbled over https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/10632 maybe the proper integration of groups will be part of an update too. my hassio version ist still on 0.57.3 so i cannot really try it :smiley:

You wouldn’t be able to try that anyway yet as it’s part of the smart home skill that hasn’t been released to us plebs yet.

Hopefully will be very soon as the smart home skills make Alexa so much more natural to use and set up looks like it shouldn’t be much more involved to set up than emulated_hue, ie five minute job, but so much more powerful.

ohhh, thats sounds lovely just like chocolate cookies