Growatt Integration - Solar Assistant

I have two Growatt inverters that are working great for the past 6 months. The Growatt integration has been less great. Most of the time it is working fine, but as soon as I loose internet connection or something goes wrong with the Growatt server, I loose functionality with my automations. This has happened a couple of times already.
I have just discovered Solar Assistant. I have installed the software on a separate Pi and linked it up to the inverters. The config was quick and simple and the link the HA was also very easy. In less than an hour all my dashboards and automations are working 100% again. With the Growatt servers I could never get the Energy dashboard to make sense, but now it is working fine. The update time from the Growatt servers is only every 5 minutes, but now it is every 10s if required.
Solar Assistant is great and I would highly recommend it.

1 Like

I’m a noob. Have Growatt 5000Es over a year now. I’m having similar limitations as you had - failed automations due server side glitches, 5mins updates…etc

Could you guide me on how to implement the solar assistant on Growatt🙏

there is good how to guides on the website
https://solar-assistant.io/help/general/introduction

I have just ordered a new wifi-x module to reflash with ESPhome, to avoid the need to run/secure a raspberry Pi. if you search the forum here you will find instruction on how to flash and setup the dongle

If i cant figure out the ESPhome on the dongle i will look at solar assistant

Hope I’m not too late to join this thread but I have a Growatt inverter and battery but can’t seem to find out if the mode can be changed via the app, ie Battery First etc.

Thanks

You can only change the mode with the webinterface, using their very clunky and sometimes unstable settings window.

@coleburg You can use the web UI to switch the AC output priority, yes. But you can also use Growatt’s mobile app named ShinePhone. I mainly resort to the mobile app.

Thank you, I have discovered a way to do this via the automation using API calls now.

Cheers

That’s great. Regarding automation, are you using HA to trigger the actions? Or a custom solution? Thanks

Hi Ewert or anyone else who knows.

Interested in if anyone has got switching working from Batt first and load first?

I have setup solar assistant and home assistant for my sph6000. I’m getting readings through ok using MQTT. however there isn’t anything for schedules like within the shine app.

I know there is a direct switch from batt first to gird etc however this has never worked in solar assistant or home assistant. I’m guessing it has to be via the schedules which work in solar assistant but no options in home assistant.

any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year!

James

have a look at this.

Hola Jaime, podrías indicarme el cable adaptador que has usado y el esquema de conexión entre la rpi y el inversor sph6000 para que el solar assistant te detecte el inversor? Tengo el mismo inversor que tú y No consigo que la rpi lo detecte quizá porque los pines A Y B no tengo claro que hilos del rj45 usan. Si me ayudas te lo agradecería. Muchas gracias

Has anyone linked a Growatt SPH inverter to the Solar Assistant through the RS485 port.
If so did you also have the ShineWifi-S adaptor and does that continue to work in parallel with the Solar Assistant?

Chris,

I would like to buy the WiFi-X module and flash it.
Does it work after that or do you need to do more things?

Regards,

Robert

Its still working very well and makes for a really nice finished product, however it is quite pricey compared to just getting a ESP and doing it that way. If I was to do it again I would just buy an ESP and flash it. I would also use an external power supply so it doesn’t turn off at night and I can still remotely update it when I actually have time to sit down and do this stuff.

Ik heb een ESP32 dev board liggen. Die heeft ook WiFi en BT. Maar wat heb ik verder allemaal nodig? Het ESP32 board heeft een micro USB aansluiting.

Maar als ik kijk wat een Shine WiFi-X USB kost is dat €18. Dat valt wel mee toch? Of heb ik dan nog steeds niet alles?

you should just be able to flash the dev board and plug it in to the USB port the wifi-x would normally connect to and it should work.

Oké, will try that. So I Connect it with the micro USB to USB-A at the Port the USB WiFi / RF is in?
I will download the yaml for the ESP32 and flash it on the board.

– In my opinion only an ESP32 will not work –
I think I will buy the Shine WiFi-X USB and see from there.

Hi,
Yes I have sucessfully connected SA via RS485 to my SPH in parallell with using ShineWifi-X
I can use both Growatt ShinePhone/ShineServer and Solar Assistant/Home Assistant to communicate with the inverter.

Still struggeling with controling the inverter via HA/SA as it seems to be a bit tricky.

What is it specifically you are struggling to control? maybe someone in this group can help?

I didn’t turn on the option to “change settings” in the MQTT menu so HA was coming up on the response sensor with an error updating.

My objective was to trigger the battery charging during a cheaper electricity periiod (Octopus Energy)
Now it seems that unless I go into the shine app and actually set a TOU Charging period then the selection in SA does not work. (Battery first grid charge) It seems that selection overrides the “scheduled charge”.

I used this select command to change the selection on HA

Example YAML code:

alias: Charge Growatt Battery based on the helper times
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.growatt_battery_charge
condition: []
action:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: state
            entity_id: binary_sensor.growatt_battery_charge
            state: "on"
            for:
              hours: 0
              minutes: 0
              seconds: 0
        sequence:
          - service: select.select_option
            target:
              entity_id: null
            data:
              option: Enabled
            target:
              entity_id:
                - select.battery_first_grid_charge
            data:
              option: Enabled
      - conditions:
          - condition: state
            entity_id: binary_sensor.growatt_battery_charge
            state: "off"
            for:
              hours: 0
              minutes: 0
              seconds: 0
        sequence:
            target:
              entity_id:
                - select.battery_first_grid_charge
            data:
              option: Disabled
mode: single

I think i got it, but the prerequites makes it a bit clumsy.
I must have set a schedule in Growatt. If I for instance set
Grid First 08:00-21:59 and Battery First 22:00-07:59,
Then i can toggle between Grid First and Load First and change rates and values during the set period.
Same at night, I can toggle between Battery First and Load First.
But in said example, I cannot shift between Grid First and Battery First at desired times. The set Priority Mode in Growatt is “static” so to say…