Growatt Inverter - What to do now?

muppet3000 had its original integration via the growatt server but this became unreliable
so he based his integration on grott of johanmeier, you could say it is an extention
And there are others who have their own forks/adaptations.
My suggestion is to start with muppet as this generates the sensors wihtout the need to create them via mqtt yaml
muppet3000/homeassistant-grott: Home Assistant Integration for Grott - MQTT (github.com)
I have muppeet.Chris’ stuff running in parallel on top of grott as I am still not fining time to compare :frowning: but both seem OK

Hi. I’m also wondering the same thing but I’m going to try egguys version. Does anyone have experience using that one?

I can’t seem to figure out how to configure it. I’ve added the extension and routed the IP in the logger to my HA-instance, but after that? Can someone advise me how to proceed.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have no experience as using the docker version but if grott (!) is properly setup then you should see the data in MQTT, from what I guess (!!?), the add-on provides a grott environment to get the dat in MQTT and other functionaltiy to create the sensors in HA, based on the MQTT data…so start with MQTT

Hi all,
I have been using the growatt integration on Hassio running on rpi and obviously it has recently stopped working, which means my automations to use surplus solar to heat up the house no longer work.
However I am not sure how to get out of this situation.
If I was running Homeassistant in a docker container, then I could install Grott to run alongside it.
I don’t think I can install Grott as a python script within hassio either (I can’t find python/pip when connecting via ssh).
And given that I am only remotely accessing the setup, I don’t know how to install a new rpi image to go the docker route.
Any advice?

There is an add-on egguy/grott-home-assistant-add-on: Grott Home Assistant add-on - Native MQTT plugin (github.com)

EDIT: there is forks from forks etc… check which one is active on dec and issue-resolution first
In principle and imo one does need much support as of the moment it is runnning locally. The only thing I can think of is that the proxy towards the growatt server may need updates but I see this as a nice-to-have and not a must as long as I have the data in HA

For anyone who might still be struggling, this is what worked for me:

1. Login to the Shine datalogger, go to the network settings, turn ResolvDomain off and change the server to Home Assistant’s (fixed) LAN IP (as explained in https://github.com/muppet3000/homeassistant-grott/blob/d7d0c6c29d62e94299729ed81ba11d2a8d51519a/docs/setup/datalogger.md).
  2. In Home Assistant, install and start egguy’s Grott stable branch add-on (see GitHub - egguy/grott-home-assistant-add-on: Grott Home Assistant add-on - Native MQTT plugin). When running, its log should contain “Growatt packet received:” entries for the data from the Shine datalogger.
  3. If you haven’t done so before, install the Mosquitto broker add-on. Its log should contain “New client connected from 172.xx.xx.x:yyyyy as Grott - HA” entries for the data from the Grott add-on.
  4. If you haven’t done so before, install the MQTT integration. This should contain a device for the inverter data from the Mosquitto broker add-on.
  5. Update the entities in the Overview dashboard to those in the MQTT inverter device.
  6. Update the Solar production entity name in the Energy dashboard to the lifetime_solar_energy one in the MQTT inverter device.

A few more steps than the now defunct Growatt integration but still easy and straightforward, no specific parameters needed.

2 Likes

Is that the app called ShonePhone on IoS, and if so, - I can’t find the parameter :frowning:

No, forget the app, it’s just a view on the server data. Find your datalogger’s IP address on your LAN and type it into a web browser - see muppet3000’s linked github page for details.

Hi Everyone,

@mrfixit1, thank you for your step by step instal guide, but unfortunately I get stuck at the second step.

I don’t know why, but I don’t get a message in the Grott Add-On that a package is received. I completed step 1 (HA static IP is 192.168.1.2), and I am running the Grott stable branch (2.7) Add-On.

(inverter: Growatt 6000TL3-XH with the ShineLan-X stick for reading the data)

Everything is installed on a Raspberry Pi 4B

See following screenshots for my (not working) configuration…

And the Logs:

s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: starting
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-banner: starting

-----------------------------------------------------------
 Add-on: Grott stable branch (2.7)
 The Growatt inverter monitor with current HA plugin integrated
 Add-on version: 0.1.5
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Home Assistant OS 11.1  (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
 Home Assistant Core: 2023.10.5
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2023.10.1
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-banner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: starting
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-log-level: starting
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully started
s6-rc: info: service base-addon-log-level successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: starting
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
[20:15:18] INFO: Preparing to start...
	 **********************************************************************************
	 - Grott - libscrc not installed, no CRC checking only record validation on length!
	 **********************************************************************************
Grott Growatt logging monitor : 2.7.8

Grott process configuration file

Grott process environmental variables

Pulled 'ginvtype=tl3' from the environment

Pulled 'gnomqtt=False' from the environment

Pulled 'gmqttip=172.30.33.0' from the environment

Pulled 'gmqttport=1883' from the environment

Pulled 'gmqttauth=True' from the environment

Pulled 'gmqttuser=addons' from the environment

Pulled 'gmqttpassword=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' from the environment

Pulled 'gextension=True' from the environment

Pulled 'gextname=grott_ha' from the environment

Pulled 'gextvar={"ha_mqtt_host": "core-mosquitto", "ha_mqtt_port": "1883", "ha_mqtt_user": "addons", "ha_mqtt_password": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX", "ha_mqtt_retain": False}' from the environment

Grott override settings if set in commandline

Grott process json layout files

Grott proxy mode started
	 - Grott - libscrc not installed, no CRC checking only record validation on length!
Hostname : 8ce4abae-grott
IP :  172.30.33.4 , port :  5279 

Who can help me with the configuration?

And the second Screenshot:

Just a guess but try setting Inverter type to default and turning Enable grott MQTT off.

My trial and error experience so far shows that changing any parameter from the default stops the packets from being received.

i am stuck at 1., i found the local ipadress but when i enter it in it gives a:
This site can’t be reached
IPADRESS refused to connect.
It is connected already to growatt server’s i’ve tried to configure it through there.
Its a shinewifi s stick.

1 Like

You have to put your Home Assintants ip to Set Ip. Leave Set Domain and port empty. input the Ip adress without http://. In your case 192.168.9.11 if that is correct.

And how can you put back the server address to growatt server?
I mean now I can reach ShineWifi-S via growatt server webpage, but when I change it to local address, then it will be not reachable vie growatt server anymore, right?

I’m asking because I’m in the same situation. I have ShineWifi-S, I know the local IP-address but I can’t reach it “can’t reach this page: IPADRESS refused to connect”.

I’m struggling with this as well. I tried various options and now I’m using the HACS growatt server API where I can choose the different server. That works as expected, though every day somewhere at night (inverters off so not data) the next day the account is locked (for 24hrs now, which means resetting the password). But just to see what happens, I disabled (by hand) the integration after sunset and enabled again at/after sunrise and all seems fine then, works beautyfully.
So it looks like growatt locks the account because it’s still being polled when there is no data.
I think that if there is an option where you can set a time, or automatic sunset/rise all problems will be gone.
I also notice that the Growatt integration in Home Wizzard (https://www.homewizard.com/) always works as expected after some updates from their side like a month ago. So maybe they do something with that as well?

BTW, I also tried Grott and that seems like it could be working but the MQTT part goes wrong since I also use an awtrix display which relies on MQTT. Or maybe I’m doing someting wrong there.

I am not sure where your issues are but …my input
My shinewifi connects to Grott and Grott creates MQTT topics which can be consumed in HA (or use muppet3000’s app on top (!) of grott).
Grott allows to push the data also (!) to the global growatt server where you can then continue to use the growatt app. Tbh. since I use Grott I never look at the app anymore, all is in HA and that is sufficient
Recently growatt communicated another server to which the data can be forwarded, you’d have to search other posts what this is

I had the same issue and ended up replacing the usb wifi module with a D1 mini flashed with GitHub - OpenInverterGateway/OpenInverterGateway: Firmware replacement for Growatt ShineWiFi-S

I tried to flash the shinewifi-x module first but couldnt ge tit working. Flashing to a wemos d1 mini worked instantly.

You camnot use the shine app anymore as no more data will be sent to growatt servers

I use both, the wemos on the 485-1 or 485-3 port and the shine stick on the usb (sph-8000). If you read the fine print in the extended warranty conditions it says somewhere that the device needs to be capable of being monitored. Specifically relevant for batteries.

The problem is mainly that it blocks the account during nighttime. That can most likely (pretty sure) be solved by adding the option to diable the polling after sunset and turn on again after sunrise.
The GROTT function works, I have this running actually (using the IP of my HA on my synology). At least GROTT forwards the data to Growatt.
Thge problem is MQTT, how does it work when you already have it running for a awtrix display (This is the BEST MATRIX DISPLAY CLOCK for Home Assistant!)
I think it needs to be configured for both, but it says it says it’s already configured. Also, no idea where the get the data from then, I just don’t see it which make me think MQTT is not working for GROTT in my case. To my knowledge MQTT needs a user to work, which is the case with the awtrix display. But there is no (I don’t see it anyway) about that in the descriptions. I’m lost with GROTT.

BTW, I also want home wizzard to work which needs the external data anyway. They have it workinh perfectly for Growatt, so it’s possible for sure. :slight_smile:

I know about this problem but again, recently something changed to a new url…if you are already using the new url then I have no clue (and no interest myself)
For the MQTT, you need to configure this in grott (.ini or .cfg or something), follow th doc