Guest Wifi and Access point control

Hi All

I wanted to share a project with you all that I have been working on - its totally overkill for a home network, but I think it’s pretty cool

I wanted to keep my guests seperate from my core devices on my LAN for multiple reasons. I have a sort of theory around devices I trust and devices I don’t, I feel like isolating your guests on their own LAN is a good practice. (I won’t go into how to install LEDE or setup a Guest WIFI in this post - I’ll just share my Home Assistant integration.

The Guest Wifi only has internet access. I don’t want it to be active all of the time and want the password to refresh on a periodic basis, utilizing Home Assistant I want guests or the significant other to enable or disable the guest wifi and display the current guess wifi password.

To achieve this I had to install LEDE on my router, create a few bash scripts to disable/enable the Wifi, check its status and regenerate a password.

I created some command line switches to run the scripts from Home Assistant and interface looks like this

Running LEDE on my router and doing a SSH keyless password exchange between the Home Assistant server and my router(saves exposing my server password to my HA config or the scripts) - I can SSH to my router and run UCI commands to perform set activities, like disabling the wifi or setting the guest password.

Guest Wifi Current Password

Script

#!/bin/bash
command="ssh [email protected] \"uci show wireless.Guest.key | cut -d\' -f 2\""

result=`eval ${command}`
echo $result;

Sensor

- platform: command_line
    command: '/home/user/scripts/wifi/guestPassword'
    name: GuestWifiPassword

Generate new Guest Wifi Password
Running via CRONTAB every Wednesday

#!/bin/bash
newpassword=$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9' | fold -w 8 | head -n 1)

command="ssh [email protected] \"uci set wireless.Guest.key=${newpassword}; uci commit wireless; wifi\""

result=`eval ${command}`
echo $result;

HA Switches

To check status of Wifi and enable or disable

guestwifi:
    command_on: '/home/user/scripts/wifi/enableWifi 192.168.0.1 0 Guest'
    command_off: '/home/user/scripts/wifi/enableWifi 192.168.0.1 1 Guest'
    command_state: '/home/user/scripts/wifi/Wifi2gStatus 192.168.0.1 Guest'
    value_template: '{{ value == "on" }}'
    friendly_name: Guest Wifi

Script for Guest Wifi Status

Find the current status of the guest wifi

#!/bin/bash

RouterToCheck=$1
wifiToCheck=$2

command="ssh root@${RouterToCheck} \"uci show wireless | grep wireless.${wifiToCheck}.disabled |cut -d\' -f 2\""

result=`eval ${command}`

if [ -z "$result" ]; then
               echo on
            else
               echo off
            fi

Enable or disable Guest Wifi

Single script to manage enablement or disablement of the Wifi

#!/bin/bash
RouterToCheck=$1
stateToSet=$2
networktochange=$3

if [ "$stateToSet" -eq "0" ]; then
               command="ssh root@${RouterToCheck} \"uci delete wireless.${networktochange}.disabled; uci commit wireless; wifi\""
            else
               command="ssh root@${RouterToCheck} \"uci set wireless.${networktochange}.disabled=${stateToSet}; uci commit wireless; wifi\""
            fi

result=`eval ${command}`
sleep 30

Its been working very well for the last few months and has a high WAF factor while keeping my network a little more secure and not having to share my wifi password with everyone.

Next steps might be automatic disablement when the Guest Wifi hasn’t had any use for a set time - I also bet there is a whole host of other things you can do on your lan using LEDE and Home Assistant.

You’ll also notice I have multiple routers with multiple WiFi Access points to help with full home wifi coverage.

Let me know what you think and any suggestions you might have.

7 Likes

Very cool. I’ve always wanted to do this but quite often guests want the ability to airplay from iPhones to my Apple TV. Is there a way of allowing internet access only + route to Apple tv IP only for airplay.

(Quick hack) I think you can enable bluetooth on Apple TV - when they come over they can pair with it via the code on the TV and stream

• Just re-read your post - you said Apple TV IP only - ill do some reading, I think there will need to be some broadcasting of the Bonjour service, there must be a guide out there

Any update on this?

Oooh. This looks really nice. It’s been a long time since anyone has posted here. Any updates? Still working?