Guide: Connecting Pi with Home Assistant OS to wifi (or other networking changes)

I have the same issue than others in this post. When I disconnect the ethernet wire and reboot, wifi stops working, although I can pin the wifi ip.
As soon as I plug the ethernet, wifi begins to work.

For the life of me I cannot get the pi4 to join my wireless network. Whenever I try I get the following error:

“connection activation failed: (7) Secrets were required, but not provided.”

I am confident I am typing in the correct password. I’ve tried using double and single quotes. What gives?

Which installation method did you use to install Home Assistant, Supervised or Home Assistant OS?

I don’t think this has anything to do with Home Assistant, but more with Z-Wave. Or are you able to integrate these Z-Wave devices with another system without bringing the device close to the Z-Wave stick?

Is this procedure described in the inital post even necessary nowadays? I thought you can now configure all network stuff in Home Assistant directly.

I’m running HA for 3+ years now and its rock solid. What exactly is rotten and unstable?

this is off topic but;

1. Cannot add a popp-radiator value to the z-wave network

2. Cannot install a ‘add-on’ makes my system crash till the point I have to force boot by unplugging the power cord

Again, are you able to pair these valves with another system without bringing the Z-Wave stick close to the valve?
Also just because a device you have cannot be connected to HA, has nothing to do with: “base is rotten or unstable”

Again are you running Home Assistant Supervised or Home Assistant OS? Are you on the latest version?

Again, yes I was able to pair them without bringing the z-wave stick close on a other system.

I’ve just followed all the guides and choose defaults. I’m updated to the last version (stable ofcourse). I have hassio with docker because everybody recomment that.

And yes that crashed to. Did a total reinstalled with another SD card, also crashes…

That doesn’t exist, the term hass.io has been deprecated half a year ago.
Do you run linux and HA on top(Home Assistant Supervised)? Or did you use an image that has everything included (Home Assistant OS)?

What do you mean with crashes? Any logs?

1 Like

That’s off topic for here; I’ve reported here; Update 2020.12.7 / 5.9 broke my system

Not sure what happened to me, but I haven’t updated HA in a few weeks and starting this morning, HA could not connect to my wifi.

HassOS 4.17
supervisor: 2020.12.7
Runnning on Raspberry Pi 3

I was able to use a wired Ethernet cable to retore network access and ssh into the Pi. It will not connect to the Wifi. When I try to use the nmcli device wifi connect <SSID> password <PASSWORD> command (with my proper SSID and password) I get the error:
Error: Connection activation failed: (7) Secrets were required, but not provided.

I’ve rebooted the Pi multiple times but it still will not connect. Nothing about my Wifi or network changed. It was working fine when I sent to sleep last night and it’s offline this morning.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Had this exact same error when using an USB3 to SATA adapter whilst trying to connect to a 2.4Ghz network. Switched to ethernet in the end.
If you have no USB3 devices anywhere nearby it could still be interferences.
The error message is really misleading imo

Thanks for the guide. My setup was working fine in wifi for over a week but when I installed the Home Assistant OS 5.10 update, the wifi would not reconnect. I ended up wiring it and redoing the steps of the guide to bring it back to wifi.
Is there a way to avoid this every time I install the updates ?

Thanks

I am getting the Error: No Wi-Fi device found.
Device: Pi 400
Router: Sagecom Fast 5364
hassos: “5.10”
supervisor: 2020.12.7
connection issues
is HA still having issues on pi4 or just me missing something?

Cannot get past 1st base.
I cannot see the SSH & Web Terminal Add-on in HACS. Running a Pi4 with 8GB (64bit).
Help!

Definetly helped me this night. Thanks

edit: removed due to causing confusion

Thanks James,
I understand I have the standard Terminal and SSH add-on and need the one from HACS. Advanced mode is definitely enabled but there’s no SSH add ons listed in HACS.
I saw someone else post a similar symptom. 64bit version thing maybe?

Hi guys, thank you for the guide.

I have an issue. after im connected to lan & wlan, i cannot update/install any software, because looks like it sets wlan0 as default, but my wlan0 is connected to a solar inverter wifi to use a reverse proxy, to retrive data.

I also get supervisor and addons blank, if i change anything under wlan on supervisor >admin>wlan settins

how can i solve this?

I don’t see the HACS terminal/SSH addon either, but I’m running supervised under debian/docker. Why do you need the HACS version?

There are no add-ons in HACs. You are confusing Home Assistant Community Store (integrations) with the community add-ons repo.

The community add-on repo is in the add-on store.

Thanks.
How do I install/access it?