Guide: How to install Home Assistant supervised on Rpi4 with RaspiOS (64 bit) - October 2022

I have looked at both and went for supervised:

1. HA Core is lacking addons and simple backup,
  2. HA containers is too complex to manage, since you have to manage all addons by yourself (as I stated before), at least at my current (hopefully improving) proficiency in docker management.

In the long run I guess I will run all in HA containers, but this scenario is beyond me right now.

And I have a “production” instance currently used by me and my family (and several devices pointing to it), I could not break without the know how to fix it right now.

It’s all about (conscious) choice. You choose what is available and fits your needs and knowledge.

BTW thank for remembering that the choice is not only between “full HASSOS” or “supervised”.
There are also other two solutions.

Shouldn’t you
sudo update-grub ??

Just if the underlying OS is not Raspberry Pi OS!

Also it is always wise to make a backup of files to edit to be on the safe side:

sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak

Why is this blurb not at the top?

Why is this not at the top? Along with a heads up that tells people “after you finish this and HA is running, you will see the following alerts x, y, and z telling you your installation is unsupported. This is expected and ok, what it means is <reason> but is ok to ignore because <reason>

No one is asking for the post to be removed, they’re asking for it to fully inform the users that are trying to follow it. Imagine a new user unfamiliar with HA going “I really don’t like vanilla Debian, raspiOS is a lot easier to install, I’ll follow this one!” Then they get all the way to the end and suddenly here’s all these blaring messages about their installation being unsupported and some advanced features aren’t really working. They’re now confused and upset because they dont know what they did wrong.

For reference, these types of users are typically the target of community guides. Highly technical and advanced users don’t often need detailed step by step guidance. This is why it’s important to mention these things at the top so less technical users aren’t confused and upset when they encounter them after a few hours of wrangling with stuff they don’t get in the command line.

EDIT: @Tinkerer is it possible to make this post community editable like the others in Community Guides ? I’m guessing it doesn’t have those options because it was moved here. If it did then someone else could just add the missing warnings.

2 Likes

That’s a reasonable request - done.

2 Likes

Hello community,

Thank you @valkanoise this helped me a lot upgrading my old-fashioned portainer-based setup…

Just a quick (not that quick to me to understand) comment:
As mentioned in their 1.4.0 release note, supervised installation is no longer available for not compatible OS, resulting in an error at installation like:
[error] Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) is not supported!

Workaround that I used was to use the 1.3.1 version then at this adress:

wget https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/releases/download/1.3.1/homeassistant-supervised.deb

Best wishes!

2 Likes

Can report 1.3.1 successful install on raspiOS 64bit, but it gave me some dependencies issue on os-agent (it reported it as not installed).

I had to tweak a bit but right now I don’t recall how I did it (don’t have access to the machine).
Will update this with the relevant info tomorrow if somebody else is facing the “missing os-agent” issue.

ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2023.1.7: 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.41/images/ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2023.1.7/json: Internal Server Error (“readlink /var/lib/docker/overlay2: invalid argument”)
23-01-25 18:15:58 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Error on Home Assistant installation. Retry in 30sec
23-01-25 18:16:28 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [supervisor.docker.interface] Updating image ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:landingpage to ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2023.1.7
23-01-25 18:16:28 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [supervisor.docker.interface] Downloading docker image ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant with tag 2023.1.7.
23-01-25 18:16:30 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can’t install ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2023.1.7: 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.41/images/ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2023.1.7/json: Internal Server Error (“readlink /var/lib/docker/overlay2: invalid argument”)
23-01-25 18:16:30 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Error on Home Assistant installation. Retry in 30sec
23-01-25 18:17:00 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [supervisor.docker.interface] Updating image ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:landingpage to ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2023.1.7
23-01-25 18:17:00 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [supervisor.docker.interface] Downloading docker image ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant with tag 2023.1.7.
23-01-25 18:17:02 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can’t install ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2023.1.7: 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.41/images/ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2023.1.7/json: Internal Server Error (“readlink /var/lib/docker/overlay2: invalid argument”)
23-01-25 18:17:02 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Error on Home Assistant installation. Retry in 30sec

Hi,

I installed Homeassistant supervised as per the instructions on my raspberry pi 4b running on bullseye lite 64bit, the installation went fine, after the installation was done I opened the browser and typed http://myip:8123

but I am stuck at the “Preparing Home Assistant” page for ever. I have tried rebooting twice but still stuck at the same page. Above are the errors that are being shown.

Please help how to to fix this.

thanks
Neha

There’s a HAOS image for that, you should use it. That’ll fix your problem :stuck_out_tongue:

I need to use rasp pi for other tasks also. If someone knows how to fix they error, kindly guide

Then you can expect that your install will flag as unsupported, and possibly unhealthy, since you plan on deliberately ignoring the requirements. Things are also likely to stop working without warning.

Could you manage to fix these warnings?
I have the same, not sure if this breaks anything yet though.

@valkanoise first, thank you for the guide, it was nice working through it! Do you have an idea how to fix the warnings mentioned by @CarpeDiemRo ?

Best!

Edit:
I managed to fix the “Network Manager issues” by starting and then enabling the Network Manager

sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager

Edit 2:
to resolve the CGroup and AppArmor warnings a friend of mine luckily noticed that while editing the cmdline.txt in Step 3, I added the lines separately, while the correct way is to paste both lines into the root line. Basically just add the lines in Step 3 A at the end of the existing root line and do the same for the line in B

greetings

How did you start the network manager??

Just do

sudo systemctl start NetworkManager

Sorry, I had a typo in my previous post, the name is case sensitive so make sure to write it correctly, ‘NetworkManager’.

Came here as I just rebuilt my Pi SD card not knowing HA Supervised no longer supports Raspbian.

Followed the above steps and used the 1.31 version as a workaround. While I acknowledge that things might be broken, there is an appeal to use unsupported installations especially for those multi-tasking their Pis.

Not sure if this contravenes any rules, but can someone technically fork the 1.41 code and remove the relevant checks?

To enable persistent startup, this should be used. The service doesn’t start on boot-up.

sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager

HA Container is a good choice for that situation.

1 Like

where’s that coming from?

Other than the official requirements that have for years made it very clear that only Debian is supported?

Or the installer that now, thankfully, refuses to run if you’re not using Debian?

I believe the main debate is on the sudden breaking changes to the installer (which many Raspian users have been relying on) without any advance notice. As you can see - many folks are still unaware of the change.

The messaging has also been unclear - if the purpose is to reduce support tickets (on unsupervised installations), or if compatibility issues will worsen. Believe Raspian users are assuming the former while the devs are focusing on the latter.

Regardless the decision is respected and I’ve switched to a Debian install.