HA 0.64.3 August component not working

I’m not able to get the August component working with 0.64.3 on Hass.io. Below is my setup:
august:
login_method: email
username: e*****@gmail.com
password: fakepassword

I have tried using both the phone and email login_method and restarted the pi several times. Upon restart, i see an error message on the home tab:
Config Validating
Config error. See dev-info panel for details.

Also, the only error in the log that came up from searching for “august” was from 3 days ago. See below:
2018-03-03 07:47:13 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for august: Component failed to initialize.

Thanks for the help.

There should be stacktrace followed by the ERROR. Can you paste the stacktrace here as well?

This is the section of the log after the ERROR. I see there’s the word stacktrace for another ERROR for the unifi component. But there’s nothing for the august component. Is this what you’re looking for?

2018-03-03 07:47:13 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for august: Component failed to initialize.
2018-03-03 07:47:20 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Setup of platform ring is taking over 10 seconds.
2018-03-03 07:47:21 WARNING (MainThread) [pyatv.tag_definitions] Unknown data: b’103’
2018-03-03 07:47:21 WARNING (MainThread) [pyatv.tag_definitions] Unknown data: b’103’
2018-03-03 07:47:21 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player.apple_tv] A <class ‘pyatv.exceptions.AuthenticationError’> error occurred: failed to login: 503
2018-03-03 07:47:31 WARNING (MainThread) [pyatv.tag_definitions] Unknown data: b’103’
2018-03-03 07:47:31 WARNING (MainThread) [pyatv.tag_definitions] Unknown data: b’103’
2018-03-03 07:47:31 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player.apple_tv] A <class ‘pyatv.exceptions.AuthenticationError’> error occurred: failed to login: 503
2018-03-03 07:47:41 WARNING (MainThread) [pyatv.tag_definitions] Unknown data: b’103’
2018-03-03 07:47:42 WARNING (MainThread) [pyatv.tag_definitions] Unknown data: b’103’
2018-03-03 07:47:42 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player.apple_tv] A <class ‘pyatv.exceptions.AuthenticationError’> error occurred: failed to login: 503
2018-03-03 07:47:52 WARNING (MainThread) [pyatv.tag_definitions] Unknown data: b’103’
2018-03-03 07:47:52 WARNING (MainThread) [pyatv.tag_definitions] Unknown data: b’103’
2018-03-03 07:47:52 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player.apple_tv] A <class ‘pyatv.exceptions.AuthenticationError’> error occurred: failed to login: 503
2018-03-03 07:47:54 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Error setting up platform unifi
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 601, in urlopen
chunked=chunked)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 346, in _make_request
self._validate_conn(conn)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 850, in validate_conn
conn.connect()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py”, line 326, in connect
ssl_context=context)
File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/util/ssl
.py", line 329, in ssl_wrap_socket
return context.wrap_socket(sock, server_hostname=server_hostname)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ssl.py”, line 407, in wrap_socket
_context=self, _session=session)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ssl.py”, line 814, in init
self.do_handshake()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ssl.py”, line 1068, in do_handshake
self._sslobj.do_handshake()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ssl.py”, line 689, in do_handshake
self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:777)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

That’s not related.

The only thing I can think of is that the authentication response from August is somehow invalid.
Can you add this to your configuration.yaml?

logger:
  logs:
    august.api: debug

Then look for “august.api” in the log when you restart PI and copy them here. Remember to sanitize if there’s anything sensitive :slight_smile:

I finally was able to receive the August verification code. I was previously restarting HA by going to Configuration > General > Server Management > Restart. But I guess I need to restart the PI, like you had stated.

This is the error I’m now receiving. I removed the logger as it was making me nervous about what’s sensitive or not to share here.

august: Error on device update!
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 197, in _async_add_entity
yield from entity.async_device_update(warning=False)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 327, in async_device_update
yield from self.hass.async_add_job(self.update)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py”, line 332, in iter
yield self # This tells Task to wait for completion.
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 250, in _wakeup
future.result()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py”, line 245, in result
raise self._exception
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 56, in run
result = self.fn(self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/lock/august.py”, line 50, in update
self._lock_status = self._data.get_lock_status(self._lock.device_id)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/august.py”, line 229, in get_lock_status
self._update_locks()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/util/init.py”, line 308, in wrapper
result = method(args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/august.py”, line 244, in _update_locks
self._access_token, lock.device_id)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/august/api.py”, line 199, in get_lock_status
access_token=access_token).json()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/august/api.py”, line 238, in _call_api
response.raise_for_status()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/models.py”, line 935, in raise_for_status
raise HTTPError(http_error_msg, response=self)
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 409 Client Error: Conflict for url: https://api-production.august.com/locks/
**************/status

I’m having issues as well, but a different error.

I put the logger back in for the august.api and below is what I got. I noticed the last line… “no bridge or incompatible bridge type”… I’m using the 3rd Gen August lock with AppleTV as the bridge. I’m able to lock and unlock outside my wifi and bluetooth range so I think the AppleTV is working correctly as the bridge.

2018-03-10 13:59:40 DEBUG (SyncWorker_15) [august.api] About to call https://api-production.august.com/users/doorbells/mine with header={‘Accept-Version’: ‘0.0.1’, ‘x-august-api-key’: ‘API-KEY’, ‘x-kease-api-key’: ‘API-KEY’, ‘Content-Type’: ‘application/json’, ‘User-Agent’: ‘August/Luna-3.2.2’, ‘x-august-access-token’: ‘ACCESS-TOKEN’} and payload=None
2018-03-10 13:59:41 DEBUG (SyncWorker_15) [august.api] Received API response: 200, b’{}‘
2018-03-10 13:59:41 DEBUG (SyncWorker_15) [august.api] About to call https://api-production.august.com/users/locks/mine with header={‘Accept-Version’: ‘0.0.1’, ‘x-august-api-key’: ‘API-KEY’, ‘x-kease-api-key’: ‘API-KEY’, ‘Content-Type’: ‘application/json’, ‘User-Agent’: ‘August/Luna-3.2.2’, ‘x-august-access-token’: ‘ACCESS-TOKEN’} and payload=None
2018-03-10 13:59:41 DEBUG (SyncWorker_15) [august.api] Received API response: 200, b’{“LOCKID”:{“LockName”:“Front Door”,“UserType”:“superuser”,“macAddress”:“MACADDRESS”,“HouseID”:“HOUSEID”,“HouseName”:“HOUSENAME”}}‘
2018-03-10 13:59:42 DEBUG (SyncWorker_17) [august.api] About to call https://api-production.august.com/locks/LOCKID/status with header={‘Accept-Version’: ‘0.0.1’, ‘x-august-api-key’: ‘API-KEY’, ‘x-kease-api-key’: ‘API-KEY’, ‘Content-Type’: ‘application/json’, ‘User-Agent’: ‘August/Luna-3.2.2’, ‘x-august-access-token’: ‘ACCESS-TOKEN’} and payload=None
2018-03-10 13:59:42 DEBUG (SyncWorker_17) [august.api] Received API response: 409, b’{“code”:“ConflictError”,“message”:“no bridge or incompatible bridge type”}’

1 Like

I see so that’s why, you’ll need an August bridge or doorbell to be able to lock/unlock remotely via August API

I assume when you said you can lock remotely, you meany lock via Apple Home app? If so that’s not calling August API and that’s why it works

Yes, I’m using Apple’s Home app to lock/unlock remotely… Dang, I guess either pay up for a August Hub or not use this component.