HA 11.5 sensor showing 4 entities as Unavailable?

Hello, I’ve been running HA 11.5 for a few days and testing the temperature sensor has been fairly good.
However today the Overview (dashboard) is showing the sensor’s 4 entities: Temperature, Humidity, Linkquality and Battery as Unavailable.
Is this a bug, as I tested the 2 x AAA batteries yesterday and they were full?

What sensor are you talking about ? A Wi-Fi sensor, a Zigbee sensor, a Z-Wave sensor, a RF433Mhz sensor, another type of sensor ?

1 Like

Sorry, let me add the specs:
Tuya WiFi Zigbee Temperature Humidity Sensor Thermometer Hygrometer Smart Home

If it is WiFi, reload the Tuya integration.
if it is Zigbee, how is it connected ?

1 Like

Oh boy, sorry, the model name I copied is still ambiguous.
It’s a Zigbee, connected via a coordinator: SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus Universal Zigbee Stick Support Home Assistant

Sorry, I’m still learning the lingo and getting my head around the HA ecosystem.

You might start by reading this:

4 Likes

Using the Home Assistant native built-in ZHA integration as Zigbee gateway solution or a third-party like Zigbee2MQTT or other Zigbee gateway application?

Regardless, while not always the most common and often seen root cause of such problem symptoms is either EMF/EMI/RMI interference or not having enough “good” Zigbee Router devices, alternatively a combination of those two, see → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

Also note that there are two different Sonoff Zigbee dongle models based on different radio chips (ZBDongle-E and ZBDongle-P), which one do you have and what firmware version using today? → Zigbee buyer's guide

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, however the data has magically come back.
I did reboot the computer 2 times due to no WAN Internet, so maybe that resolved some HA issues too?

Lol, the problem has returned. Guess I’ll have to read all those suggested documents after all.

These are the details I could find for the Zigbee Coordinator.
SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus Universal Zigbee Stick Support Home Assistant

Feature:

SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus is a universal Zigbee USB stick. It can be used as a Zigbee gateway in Home Assistant, openHAB, Zigbee2MQTT, or other open-source platforms to locally control all your Zigbee devices, so you don’t need to invest in different brands’ Zigbee hubs, all you need is a universal gateway - Dongle Plus!

The dongle plus has a wide range of supported devices, such as BASICZBR3, S40 Lite zb, SNZB01, SNZB02, SNZB03, SNZB04, ZBMINI-L, S26R2ZB. Dongle Plus is pre-flashed with coordinator firmware, you can also flash router firmware to extend the network range.

Dongle Plus support a variety of common systems, like Linux, Ubuntu, Raspbian, Windows, macOS (Windows and macOS require corresponding driver installation).

Pre-flashed with Zigbee coordinator firmware based on EZNet 6.10.3 out of box

Support smart home platforms like Home Assistant, openHAB, Zigbee2MQTT and so on

Based on EFR32MG21

20dBm output gain

Aluminum housing effectively reduces signal interference from peripherals

Optional 1.5m USB extension cable for better signal range

SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus can works with the devices below:

Router: ZBMINI smart switch, S31 Lite ZB smart plug, BASICZBR3 smart switch, S26R2ZB smart switch

End Device: ZBMINI-L smart switch, SNZB-01 switch, SNZB-02 Temp. and Hum. sensor, SNZB-03 motion sensor, SNZB-04 door/window sensor

Specifications:

Description:

Model:ZBDongle-E

Working temperature:-10°C~40C

Shell material: Aluminum alloy

Input:DC 5V (100mA Max)

Wireless:Zigbee 3.0

Dimension:75x25.5x13.5m

Package Included:

1*SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus

Not sure if this is relevant, but the Temperature Sensor is also on the ZigBee protocol:
Zigbee sensor:
Tuya WiFi Zigbee Temperature Humidity Sensor Thermometer Hygrometer Smart Home

SONOFF dongle E is prone to interference in my experience. I reverted to a P and haven’t had a single issue since.

I constantly had drops even with changes to the USB cable and WIFI band/channel changes.

Just my opinion/experience. It was by far worth the reset for the 50+ lights I’m running.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll shop around then.

I read a few comments that referred to the E as experimental with ZHA so it got me thinking it was a situation where the hardware was as compatible as it should be. For 35 dollars it was worth a shot to try the P with ZigBee2MQTT. I was pulling my hair out because once I lost connectivity I had to go back through the Hue and Hub to re-add my unresponsive lights. I only run the SONOFF P. No more hubs!

Some lights are very high up so other reset methods weren’t ideal. My E is a nice paperweight now :laughing:

Best of luck, I know your frustration…

1 Like

I found these Zigbee coordinators.
I think they’re a P and not an E? Can someone confirm for me, so I can be sure please?

1: Zigbee 3.0 Coordinator Router w/ LAN Port of HamGeek CC2652P For Zigbee2mqtt
Zigbee 3.0 Coordinator Router Zigbee Gateway w/ LAN Port of HamGeek CC2652P Module For Zigbee2mqtt

Description:
This is a Z2M wired LAN port gateway zigbee2mqtt
Using the strongest cc2652p chip + LAN port, its performance is stable. It eliminates the problem of packet loss and disconnection of wifi solution. It is more flexible to place the router. There is no need to be restricted by location like the usb interface. This solution can be equipped with modules to support poe, z2m and zha at the same time, and the external antenna signal is super strong. Plug and play, get IP automatically.

CC2652P zigbee wired gateway with LAN port, compatible with z2m zha
The zigbee chip of this gateway is upgraded to the latest cc2652p. The chip is the strongest zigbee chip for TI in zigbee networking, outperforming cc2530 and cc2538 in stable wired connection.

After tests, the gateway can access to about 200pcs sub-devices, with stable working performance. Better than gateways for Xiaomi (up to 30pcs or so of sub-devices), cc2530/2531 and other gateways.

Support for homeassistant, nodered, iobroker, etc. Supports for Synology and compatible with thousands of zigbee devices of most brands on the market, as well as for ZHA in Home Assistant and Tasmota. Suitable for placing your coordinator in the center. Through a stable Ethernet connection, don’t worry about disconnecting! USB pass-through is not required when using HA in a VM environment.

You can use the hardware by Koenkk (Koen Kanters) Z-Stack-firmware/coordinator at master · Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware · GitHub or by Egony (Alex Egony) https://github.com/egony/cc2652p_E72 -2G4M20S1E/tree/master/firmware/coordinator. Use Egony’s coordinator firmware by default. Example of port writing in zigbee2mqtt configuration file: port://deviceip:5000

2: SMLIGHT SLZB-06 CC2652P Zigbee Ethernet PoE LAN WiFi USB Gateway Adapter ZHA Z2M
Unleash the true potential of your smart home with the SMLIGHT SLZB-06, the cutting-edge Zigbee gateway adapter that seamlessly bridges the gap between your Zigbee devices and your local area network (LAN), USB, or Wi-Fi network. Powered by the very popular and much sought after CC2652P Zigbee 3.0 chip and boasting a +20dB amplifier and 5dB antenna, this adapter delivers unparalleled range and reliability, ensuring a robust and seamless Zigbee network experience.

We are the official Australian distributors for SMLIGHT products. As with all our products enjoy fast delivery and fully local support on your purchases.

Key Features:

• Versatile Connectivity: Connect your Zigbee devices to your LAN, USB, or Wi-Fi network with ease, enabling remote control and monitoring from anywhere.
  • Flexible Power Options: The SLZB-06 supports Power over Ethernet (PoE) for hassle-free installation, as well as Type-C and micro-USB power options, ensuring compatibility with various power sources.
  • Comprehensive Accessory Package: Enjoy a complete out-of-the-box experience with the included antenna, screws, screw helper, two-sided adhesive tapes, and a micro-USB to Type-C adapter.
  • Compact and Discreet Design: With its sleek and compact form factor, the SLZB-06 blends seamlessly into any environment, while its cool design allows for flexible installation in any location.
  • Easy Firmware Flashing: Enjoy the convenience of flashing both the Zigbee and ESP firmware directly over your LAN connection, simplifying setup and configuration.
  • Rigorous Testing: Every SLZB-06 adapter undergoes meticulous individual testing before shipment, ensuring optimal performance and reliability right out of the box.

Benefits of the SMLIGHT SLZB-06:

• Choice of Coordinator Location: Position the adapter strategically for optimal coverage, independent of your server’s location.
  • Increased Network Capacity: Expand your smart home system by adding multiple SLZB-06 adapters, with each capable of connecting up to 150 Zigbee devices.
  • Reliable Network Expansion: Achieve seamless Zigbee network coverage across large areas or multiple buildings by strategically placing additional SLZB-06 adapters, ensuring reliable connectivity for all your smart devices.
  • The SMLIGHT SLZB-06 is the ultimate solution for smart home enthusiasts and professionals seeking a robust, versatile, and future-proof Zigbee adapter. Designed to work seamlessly with open automation platforms such as Home Assistant, using the powerful zigbee2mqtt or ZHA software, this adapter empowers you to take control of your smart home like never before.

Flash it with router firmware, put it in an USB phone charger, and you have a really powerful Zigbee router.

Does installing OPNsense solve the connectivity issues of the Zigbee E firmware?

I was looking into that at one point. Is there specific firmware i should chose over another.

ZBDongle-E and ZBDongle-P are equally senstive to EMF/EMI/RMI so you still need to take the exact same actions to avout that. So you should still follow all these tips regardless → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

The main difference is the Zigbee stack firmware. Silicon Labs EmberZNet Zigbee stack is better with some devices while Texas instruments firmware is better with other devices. Generally though many have reported that their experince is a little better with a TI CC2652P based radio adapter as a Zigbee Coordinator while the same people also reported that Silabs EFR32MG21 based adapters work better as Zigbee Router devices, and you are going to need more Zigbee Router devices regardless.

Personally I would however suggest upgrading the Zigbee Coordinator firmware to latest version before replacing it. The firmware that ships with all of them is old and newer firmware have many bug fixes and improvments.

1 Like

I was just sharing my experience with both. I was at my wits end with the E and the firmware was up to date. This was just a few months ago.

I have no interference issue with the P.

1 Like