HA and VirtualBox on iMac

Hello,

To test Home Assistant before deciding if it can replace Lifedomus, I’m trying to run it on a VirtualBox VM on an iMac 10.15.7

Every time I start the virtual machine, it displays after 2 seconds the message Booting ‘Slot A (OK=0 TRY=0)’ after displaying:
*Slot A (OK=0 TRY=0)
Slot B (OK=0 TRY=0)
Slot A (rescue shell)
Slot B (rescue shell)

Can’t go any further…
Here are the settings

Thanks for your help,
patrickp78

2 Likes

I have had that problem too. I am trying to install haos-ova-9.4.vdi (latest from installation instructions) with VirtualBox 7.0 (latest for MacOS). I am on a late 2012 quad core Intel Mac Mini running Catalina (10.15.7). I am using the instructions from the Installation page and have my VM configured as you showed. Booting the VDI hangs or crashes repeatedly.

After a few Resets, it will usually fail with “Failed to send WATCHDOG=1 notification message: Transport endpoint is not connected” over and over, but not necessarily.

Has anyone had success with this VDI?

I have got it working in the past but haven’t tried recently.

I can see an open issue on GitHub which may be relevant:

Hi,
Here is the complete sequence of starting and crashing VirtualBox with haos_ova-9.4.vdi
Thanks for your help
Patrick!

I’m having the same problem here. Did you manage to solve it?

Having same issue. Anyone found the solution. I am on a Mac with Catalina

I suggest you open an issue on GitHub.

Possibly do a search on there first as there is an open issue for Virtualbox as I mentioned above. If that doesn’t match your symptoms open a new one.

Has anyone fixed this issue? I’m running into it today and can’t find any solution.

Got it working when installing Virtualbox 6.1.42. Running Home Assistant OS 9.4
Iam using Virtualbox VM on an Mac mini late 2012 macOS Catalina 10.15.7

(where did my weekend go :laughing:)

The same on my Mac mini mid 2011 with Catalina 10.15.7.

It seems that haos didn’t run with Virtualbox 7. No problems with haos 9.5 after installing VirtualBox 6.1.

Hi Guys !

Im using HA couple of years via VirtualBox on macOS. The troubles you are facing are related to “VIRTUALBOX v7” ! Honestly, no idea what is wrong or different in the new version of VB, but you have to use v6 (most recent-latest version is 6.1.42) on you macOS. It will run HA without any problems or additional steps compared to the documentation.

1 Like

I downgraded VirtualBox to version 6.1 and setup from scratch and it boots correctly

Hi, I confirm, I also had the same problem with virtualbox 7.0.6!
I downgraded to virtualbox 6.1.42 and the system started working again…

Through trial and error i found I am able to use VirtualBox 7.0.0 through 7.0.2. But 7.0.3 and above all fail to boot for me.

1 Like

Reinstalling Virtual Box 6.1 worked for me. Issues started with 7.0 update. Wouldn’t boot. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I know I am replying on an old topic, but maybe it will help someone…

What worked for me is remove all boot options except the ‘Hard Disk’ and put the Hard Disk at the top. (probebly one of the 2 should be enough, but why not go all the way :stuck_out_tongue: )