HA auto restarts every morning

I am on Raspbian and have HA installed in a virtual environment.
I am on 0.85.1 version and I have checked all my automations and scripts for anything weird.

I have noticed that HA restarts every morning at 06:25 for no apparent reason.
I checked my raspberry for uptime but it is constantly on for the last few days (where I manually restarted the whole system)
Can anyone help me find what causes that restart?

Are using any other automations like node red or IFTTT, etc?

No, everything is done inside HA using yaml only.

If you could afford to do it, I would comment out all of your automations and see if HA restarts the next morning. If it doesn’t, add back the automations until it does…

Trial and error is something I would like to avoid, but I will do it tonight if no one else has another idea. Thank you. In the meantime if anything else comes up in your mind, please let me know.

script? You have not given much information so it’s all guessing

I only have one script to restart HA but it only triggers manually through the frontend. I have it setup for my wife, just in case it is needed to restart HA if I am not home. She wouldnt want to go through navigating the menu to restart HA.
I also searched through my automations to check if any is triggering that script by mistake, but I couldnt find anything.
I wasnt sure what kind of information I should give. If you need to know any other info, I will gladly tell you anything. Thanks for the help!

I also checked crontab for any scheduled tasks, but it is empty…

Is there a way to see the log BEFORE a restart? Right now, I can only see the log after HA starts. Can I see an earlier log, so I can figure out what caused the restart?

I am also having similar issue but not everyday/not fixed time but it happens and would like to get the logs before restart. I am running HA in docker on Ubuntu machine. Ubuntu machine system/kernel log shows python process encountered segfault, which is basically that process got killed due to illegal memory read or write by the process.

I removed all my automations and scripts from HA, and still the same: HA restarts at 06:25.
It would be really helpful if we could force it to write the logs in a file and check what happened before the restart.
Is there such a thing? Gonna have to look through the docs again.
In the meantime, does anyone have a clue of what could be the issue?

is the pi on a smart switch?

I am not really sure what you mean on a smart switch (something to turn it on and off?), but if thats the case, then no. If you read my first post:

So… the pi doesnt lose its power.

crontab? There has to be a reason and not necessarily home assistant…

Anything else?

for the sudo user as well as any other users?

Yes, it looks like it.

Is there a way to list cron jobs for all users in case I missed any? Even though I am pretty sure I checked everything ( I just rechecked to be sure), but you never know.

If you are absolutely sure that nothing in your config or automations are causing the reboot, one last thing I would suggest (and it sucks) is to take a snapshot of your current config, and rebuild your pi…but since you say its at precise 6:25am, then I would thing that there is a job running somewhere that you have forgotten about. Nothing about 6:25 rings a bell for you?

1 Like

Absolutely nothing. At weekdays, I have my phone alarm for work at 06:25 and I even thought it might be an issue (stupid, but could be - I have seen everything in my life) so I changed the time 5 minutes later today - still the same thing.

I cant be absolutely sure about anything. All I can say is “I think” I have checked everything. Thats why I posted here. You guys can help me figure it out.
Nobody knows a way to keep track of the log BEFORE restarting HA? :confused:
Too bad.

You could create a cronjob to copy to log file to another directory at 6:24am.

Is the operating system restarting too, or is it just HA