HA boot loop. Please help πŸ™πŸ½

Good morning. I woke up this morning to home assistant not loading. I looked at the vm console and was presented by this.

EXT4-fs (sdaB): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null). Quota mode: none
Proxmox stops at this line then it just stuck in a boot loop please help

These type of errors usually some kind of issue with the partition. Yours might be as simple as expanding the size of your disk. In the VM go to hardware and expand your hard disk size by a few GB. Then start the VM. If problem persists take a pic for us to see the error message as displayed by Proxmox.

1 Like

I will try that asap. Thank you so much for answering.
Actually I remembered I got a notification from HA that I was running out of space.
I am running HA instance on proxmox using a laptop with 1TB of hard drive space but under disk option in vm instance only 32 gb was chosen and I left it like that the day I set up.
Should I utilize more space in there?
I only use that laptop for HA and Pi-hole at the moment. I might add pfsense later on.
What you think?

If you plan to make your smart home around home assistant consider using desktop computer. It might be used and bit old. You just need an ssd for it and put enough ram, 8 Gb is more than enough.

It will usually autoexpand, but your VM might not be setup that way.

check this article: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resize_disks

1 Like

How can I set it up to auto expand? I can look it on YouTube if it’s a long task

If you set HA to 64G it should last for years, assuming you keep HA updated, especially up to 2022.7 as it has database optimisations.

Which version Proxmox are you running?

7.2-7 and it appears your first solution in your first reply worked. Thank you so so much.
Cli starting…

I assume you are running on SSD. In that case try to enable the discard option for your VM disk. Example HAOS disk setup below.

I could do that but I am planning on getting a low power consumption micro pc to help with the electric bill lol.

Not ssd. Just sata Hard disk

I run it on desktop comp. I have a smart plug with energy meter connected to outlet running comp, network printer and router.
Daily consumption is around 0.8-0.9 kwh. So its not that bad.

My suggestion, although I do not think you need it. Keep your systems up to date at least monthly. Update from versions that are a few months old is risky in today’s fast paced open systems/source world.

1 Like

That’s not bad at all.

One more suggestion. Run everything on SSD. not on HDD. SATA or NVMe does not matter much for automation. However try to run as much as you can on NVMe - tech changes fast demanding increasing bandwidth while decreasing latency.

1 Like

I do google drive addon for daily backups.
If I get an ssd for this laptop for now since it can’t take Nvme, could clone the proxmox install somehow and dump it on the new ssd or just reinstall proxmox from scratch?

I always suggest fresh install. Doing something again and again makes you better at it every time. Why you want to carry the baggage of the past. Start fresh is my suggestion. I would also suggest you consider running Proxmox on ZFS even if it is a single disk.

same problem with hassio on PI4 how do I repair it?