HA Compatiable In-Wall Volume Control?

Hi all,

Have any of you messed with in-wall audio volume? I have an amplifier in the basement which controls 8 in-wall speakers around my house. every 2 pair of speakers has a in-wall manual volume control (Rotary knob) that allows for me to raise or lower the volume in the living room vs the kitchen, etc. What I would like to do is be able to manipulate this volume by zone in Home Assistant. but I have yet to see a WiFi capable in-wall volume controller. Any ideas?

Just for clarity, I can control the master volume via the amplifier, but it doesn’t have zone functionality.

Can you manipulate the volume of the zones with an IR remote? Trying to see if there would be a way to use one of the available IR solutions for this.

Unfortunately no. I do have a broad-link IR/RF device and tried that. the amplifier doesn’t have the functionality. the zones are all done via the wires in the walls.

Do you have a model number or specification for your amplifier?

Product: monkey amplifier
model: mamp1
amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Moukey-Bluetooth-Power-Amplifier-System/dp/B08H4R221Z/ref=sr_1_1?crid=11855I0DP9Z3B&keywords=monkey+mamp1&qid=1679080387&sprefix=monkey+mamp1%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

That amp only has 2 speaker outputs. So you’ll never control the 4 speaker pairs via control of the amp itself.

The wall controllers are probably just potentiometers. You can control a digital potentiometer with esphome. Worth a try.

Yes the are potentiometers. I do have several ESP32’s lying around. I was just hoping there was a commercial option available.

I love it when people post a question, get an answer, and then introduce a new requirement :slight_smile:

To be honest I always had a diy option in my back pocket. But it can be a pain sometimes. But you never know what people come up with on these forms so it’s always worth asking.