HA Compatible Energy Consumption Meter - Australia

Ok, yeah I’ve been looking through your code on Github and couldn’t see anything relating to iotawatt in there. I’d definitely be interested in your custom component. Would you recommend the device?

Yeah pretty straight forward to install easy to configure and as circuits are all individually breakered was easy to just get a CT Clamp for each of my circuits.

I think for the reference voltage I needed to get the UK plug but this worked with adaptor will do write up for you I have a bunch of pictures taken during install as I thought I might get a bunch of questions.

Awesome, thanks. I’ll put in my order then. I was just going to buy the voltage transformers locally, they even list the Jaycar part number. Your custom component and any supporting info would be great as I don’t have the coding ability to do it myself, I’m more of a hardware guy.

@sparkydave you can just use rest sensor to pull data into HA like below

sensor:
  - platform: rest
    name: IoTaWatt
    json_attributes:
      - inputs
      - outputs
    resource: http://192.168.xxx.xxx/status?inputs=yes&outputs=yes
    value_template: '{{ value_json.inputs[0].Vrms }}v'
    scan_interval: 5

- platform: template
    sensors:
      iotawatt_1:
        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][1].channel }}'
        unit_of_measurement: 'Watts'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][1].Watts }}'
      iotawatt_total:
        friendly_name_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["outputs"][0].name }}'
        unit_of_measurement: 'Watts'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["outputs"][0].value }}'
1 Like

Did you end up doing your wright up. Or you been. Buzzy

@Tombstone Sorry I have been travelling I will endeavour not to leave you hanging too much longer.

1 Like

…gets wife to drive so he can get working on a HA blog entry :laughing:

@Tombstone, @sparkydave I have a few massive projects on which will not allow me to put any resources into my HA hobby until end of this month my apologies lads I will hopefully get this write up done one of my flights.

1 Like

As already stated, just use the inbuilt rest endpoint in HA

Here is my config

I ordered my IotaWatt on Friday, so fingers crossed!

1 Like

I realize this is a bit of an old topic; but hoping enough of us Aussies have tried various products to have some opinion/feedback on what choices I’m thinking about:

These both look like pretty decent clamp meters to me; although I have to admit the cheaper (chinese?) model has a 3-phase model and from what I can tell looks easier to get up and running.

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences with the above?

Kind regards

James

Looks like there’s a decent 3rd alternative too:

One of my primary requirements is that any solution DOES NOT require a Cloud account/service / Internet to operate. So far the LiveHouse HEM, IamMeter and TED all fit this bill.

Still keen to hear any thoughts, opinions and experiences on any of thse.

Kind regards

James

1 Like

Go with IotaWatt. No cloud, 14 input channels and works perfectly with HA. I have used all 14 channels so I can monitor each induvidual circuit as well as the 3 phase main supply. Coupled with the data from my solar inverter I am now able to determine how much power if being used or fed back in to the grid which is very cool.

2 Likes

Yeah mines been rock solid and as you say enough to monitor all circuits in the house.

I’ve been using a Shelly EM. Works really well and is a cheaper option if you only want to measure one or two circuits.

The IotaWatt doe slook rreally good.

How does this integrate with HA? I don’t see an iintegreation for it?

I haven’t used it, but it has the capability to upload data to PVOutput, and HA has an integration with PVOutput.

It also supports InfluxDB so you could setup a local database and create sensors from that data using the InfluxDB integration.

you simply enquiry it with rest commands:

sensor:
  - platform: rest
    name: IoTaWatt
    json_attributes:
      - inputs
      - outputs
    resource: http://192.168.0.16/status?inputs=yes&outputs=yes
    value_template: '{{ value_json.inputs[0].Vrms }}v'
    scan_interval: 5
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      iotawatt_channel_1:
        friendly_name: 'Grid Red Phase Power'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][1].channel }}'
        unit_of_measurement: 'W'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][1].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_2:
        friendly_name: 'Grid White Phase Power'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][2].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][2].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_3:
        friendly_name: 'Grid Blue Phase Power'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][3].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][3].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_4:
        friendly_name: 'Light Circuits Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][4].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][4].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_5:
        friendly_name: 'Power Circuit 1 Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][5].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][5].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_6:
        friendly_name: 'Power Circuit 2 Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][6].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][6].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_7:
        friendly_name: 'Power Circuit 3 Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][7].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][7].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_8:
        friendly_name: 'Power Circuit 4 Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][8].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][8].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_9:
        friendly_name: 'Oven Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][9].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][9].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_10:
        friendly_name: 'Air Con Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][10].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][10].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_11:
        friendly_name: 'Shed Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][11].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][11].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_12:
        friendly_name: 'Bore Red Phase Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][12].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][12].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_13:
        friendly_name: 'Bore White Phase Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][13].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][13].Watts }}'

iotawatt_channel_14:
        friendly_name: 'Bore Blue Phase Power Consumption'
#        friendly_name_template: 'Channel {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][14].channel }}'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["inputs"][14].Watts }}'

iotawatt_grid_total:
        friendly_name: "IoTaWatt Total Grid Power"
        value_template: "{{ '%.2f'|format(((states('sensor.iotawatt_channel_1') | float ) + (states('sensor.iotawatt_channel_2') | float ) + (states('sensor.iotawatt_channel_3') | float ))) }}"

iotawatt_bore_total:
        friendly_name: "Total Bore Power"
        value_template: "{{ '%.0f'|format(((states('sensor.iotawatt_channel_12') | float ) + (states('sensor.iotawatt_channel_13') | float ) + (states('sensor.iotawatt_channel_14') | float ))) }}"

no need for linking to PVoputput or any other service

2 Likes

Thanks sparkydave

I still think it’s probably the best option here. I’ll likely integrate it with my Prometheus/Grafana setup as well.

I researched this for ages and IotaWatt is the best one out there for the price range

3 Likes