HA Configuration instructions not matching UI when setting py scripts

I am quite new for HA and with all OS HA systems I am facing the same problem - instructions are not matching the UI at all. I am trying to do very basic task, set py scripts for HA.
In instructions
python_script/
I first need to edit configuration.yaml. It is said I can install Visual Studio Code add-on and use that for editing.

With these few lines on instruction pages are already following mismatches:

1. there is no add-on selector visible in my HA UI. How can it be accessed?
    2.I cannot access any of links in instructions, sample home-assistant_io/redirect/config (those do not work -all say page not found), when trying to modify to match my HA instance url all pages are empty
  2. Cannot access developer-services with redirect, home-assistant_io/redirect/developer_services, but I can access /developer-tools/service, however I assume that’s not the same? So how can I access /developer_services type of pages in my HA?

So sure, I can edit config directly, but I prefer to have instructions that match my HA and thus work.

I am using Ubuntu 20.04 and used snap to install HA. So is something additional needed to make the UI functionality to match the HA instructions or is there some other fault in my installation/configuration ?

That is not a supported installation/configuration.

More importantly, I doubt an HA installed via snap is a supervised one, i.e. support addons at all.

Also, which instructions/documents are you following?

I also faced this when I first came into home assistant, I recommend you to read Installation - Home Assistant after reading this full comment and hopefully, with my help you’ll get it.

There are two mayor home assistant “flavors”: Supervised and Not Supervised
The difference between the two is that all supervised installations come preinstalled with the supervisor, wich is a program that helps you easily configure and maintain your home assistant. It allows you to install add-ons in one click (Like you’ve seeing on tutorials), make backups, check your configuration for errors, etc…
The problem is that for it to work and do all that advanced stuff, it needs to know where everything is and how it is supposed to be. So the developers have made a strict list of requirements that you need to meet to get a supervised installation (Otherwise imagine the nightmare of trying to develop FOR FREE such program for every combination of os, device, installation, etc…)

So, as you’ll see on the link I gave you, the installation you’ve made (container?) doesn’t meet the requirements for supervisor, so you don’t get add-ons, nor backups, nor the managed os.

You have two options: Keep things how they are, after all you really can do everything supervisor does, but you’ll have to do it manually, don’t make mistakes and you won’t find much tutorials about it because the majority of us use the supervisor (It’s worth the effort). Oooor, find a way to have a supervised installation, either by installing full home assistant os, or by manually installing full home assistant supervised on your current os as I did (But believe me, you’ll get your hands dirty and it isn’t very straight forward).

By far he easiest option, if you have enough horses, is to create a Virtual Machine and run home assistant os inside. On the page I gave you, you can download virtual images for VirtualBox, VmWare, KVM…

Good luck and welcome to the community! :grinning:

Thanks, obviously understanding of variety of HA implementation options as such needs careful study. As conclusion I switched to virtualbox deployment of HA. Now and all post-installation tasks are following documentation precisely. Thanks.
Next question is about importing 3rd party python libs from git to HA, is there any step-by-step guide for that?