HA control with no Internet. Tplink and Insteon devices

I don’t understand why or how you would be using wan in the first place. Maybe you mean WLAN ?
There’s so much technology and abbreviations, but if you have your terminology mixed up, it will definitely confuse anyone trying to help.

• Router - the box which connects to your internet provider and the devices in your home. Usually will incorporate a modem and Wireless Access Point
  • LAN = Local Area Network - the wiring and devices connected to your router inside your house
  • WAN = Wide Area Network - the internet, which is connected to your router via your internet Service provider
  • Ethernet or wired connections - using a cable between your router and your device (such as a desktop computer)
  • WLAN or wi-fi = Wireless LAN - the radio signal network connecting the aerials on your router to your mobile phone, laptop and/or home automation devices
  • Mobile network = a different wireless connection between your phone and your phone company, which can also be used to provide internet access
  • pie - a food, usually a pastry base with a savoury or sweet filling :wink:
  • Raspberry Pi - a credit card sized computer. Often abbreviated as RPi or RasPi

You have mentioned:

• You run Home assistant on a Raspberry Pi
  • you have a laptop connected to your LAN

I don’t see how Firefox on your laptop can not access HA using the RasPi’s local IP address if they are both working and connected to your LAN. I guess that you have much more fundamental problems.

There’s no need for http session. I’ve asked just to understand if some http settings could be preventing his access thru local network, which I don’t think was the case as there were no http settings before.

I see you access your local address with http://homeassistant.local:8123, which is OK, but for testing purposes, I would suggest you to try the IP address instead… Something like http://192.168.x.y:8123/. This will show if the problem is in your local DNS settings (in your router?).
Also, if that is not the case, I will hardly recommend to use a fix/static IP address in your Home Assistant. In order to do that, go to your router settings and find out what is the current IP address (192.168.x.y) and set that manually as an static address in your dhcp settings (in your router). You will most likely need its mac address (something like ab:cd:ef:12:34:5a) which might be visible at your router’s list of clients,

Oh no!

I understand the need of this kind of protection on the forums, in order to prevent abuse, but it is quite sad when it blocks real users.

So I changed the local address on his home assistant to the actual IP:8123. tested (with low expectations) and he still couldn’t access it. Next step we will set the IP as a static IP in the DHCP settings of the router. I will find the mac too and report back if this solves the issue.

1 Like

Static IP was set for HA in the TP-Link Deco m5 router. still no luck when internet is down. Cannot connect to HA locally. Any other ideas?

Are you connecting http://192.168.x.y:8123/ and you are getting an error message? Could you please share a screenshot with your browser with the error?

Baaack, 24 hour expired.

No error message. Above connects fine.
Wes

To reitterate, I did not try with internet down but will tomorrow am. Wife is streaming now and she will lite me up if I drop

1 Like

called out of town this am. Will be back tomorrow am and test

Wes

Error, Hmmm, Cannot find that site per Firefox
Sorry for delay.

Wes

Could you please share a screenshot including the address bar and the error message/code?

I use the 2413U PLM and USB Zwave and Zigbee sticks. Definitely don’t need working Internet but do need a working LAN/Wifi so always bypass your ISP equipment and use your own router/APs.

1 Like

[penguinponics please elaborate… which settings do i need to set to allow lan acess for insteon and tplink, zigbee devices?

thanks,
Wes

for local access that is…via lan
thx

You literally just need a working router that keeps your network alive regardless of your Internet. Going with the defaults of providing DHCP addresses to network devices is handled by your router (keeping it very very simple because there are better ways). A device can get an IP and be accessible on the LAN without having an Internet connection. Those two are separate things. You only lose connectivity to devices that require the cloud and don’t have local access. For me, that’s only one or two out of dozens of devices from a variety of manufacturers.

Insteon and tplink?

:thinking:

I’m getting lost on this conversation…

@weshobgood, basically what everyone is saying is that if your router is on and your wifi is on, your Home Assistant should be working and accessible, regardless if you have internet or not.
If you do your simulation of “no-Internet” state by turning off your router, then it’s not going to work, but if you simulate that by unplugging the Internet (WAN) cable from your router/modem, then Home Assistant should keep working. Maybe some devices will report an error, as some device depends on the cloud to work, but Home Assistant and even some devices with local communication should keep working.

I bet the problem you have is related to something simple in your network settings, but in order to help we need more informatio from your side. As the problem is probably on a detail, we need you providing as much detail as possible.

And I still waiting for a screenshot to continue. :wink:

already posted what screen says, Maybe I need to move to a more advanced forum for answers.

Still no connectivity when Wan is down. Lan is up. No HA connectivity, No automations running. How much clearer Can I be.

Quit nit picking posts and offer constructive advice as this is what forums are for.

Wes

OK. I hope you find the support you need from someone else, then.

when I posted screen info, this is what it said from firefox: Error, Hmmm, Cannot find that site per Firefox
Sorry for delay

Do I really need to post a screenshot of this? Im an IT network guy. Stay with me.

Common guys, really need an answer

When my wan is down, zero connectivity to my lan to HA

Wes