HA Core upgrade - Can't initialise new boards on ESPHome

Hi All!

After the last Core update (and Server update, did them together) I can no longer intialize or update my ESP32 WROOM-32D Boards? I could do this fine before the upgrade…
However,
ESP32 WROOM-32 Boards are not a problem, business as usual.

I used to just choose ESP32 for both in the dialog when choosing the setup.
The error i get is:

Blockquote

ERROR Running command failed: Failed to connect to ESP32: Wrong boot mode detected (0x13)! The chip needs to be in download mode.
For troubleshooting steps visit: Troubleshooting - ESP32 - — esptool.py latest documentation
ERROR Please try running esptool.py --before default_reset --after hard_reset --baud 460800 --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --chip esp32 write_flash -z --flash_size detect 0x10000 /data/build/breakout/.pioenvs/breakout/firmware.bin 0x1000 /data/build/breakout/.pioenvs/breakout/bootloader.bin 0x8000 /data/build/breakout/.pioenvs/breakout/partitions.bin 0xe000 /data/cache/platformio/packages/framework-arduinoespressif32/tools/partitions/boot_app0.bin locally.
INFO Upload with baud rate 460800 failed. Trying again with baud rate 115200.
esptool.py v4.7.0
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
Connecting…
ERROR Running command failed: Invalid head of packet (0x01): Possible serial noise or corruption.
ERROR Please try running esptool.py --before default_reset --after hard_reset --baud 115200 --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --chip esp32 write_flash -z --flash_size detect 0x10000 /data/build/breakout/.pioenvs/breakout/firmware.bin 0x1000 /data/build/breakout/.pioenvs/breakout/bootloader.bin 0x8000 /data/build/breakout/.pioenvs/breakout/partitions.bin 0xe000 /data/cache/platformio/packages/framework-arduinoespressif32/tools/partitions/boot_app0.bin locally.

Blockquote

These are the newer boards that won’t work

And these ones work

Latest or last is not a version

What?.. I don’t understand your statement.

“Latest” or “last” does not tell us what version you are updated to.

Hard to tell exactly what the devices are too.

Does the usb port provide a serial connection, or is it just for power? Can’t tell from your photos as they are blurry.

Did you try to keep the boot button pressed when attaching USB (power)?

Hi, yes, tried that without success. Hooked it up with a FTDI and that worked fine as long as I held down the boot button. Not sure why it’s different, but problem solved.