HA Green only works plugged into WIFI router, not switch?

New HA user here! I plugged my new HA Green into my switch and could not login. I plugged it into my mesh wifi router on an extra port and my phone found it! My wifi router is plugged into my switch, which is connected to my internet modem.

I’m assuming it’s because my phone is on the wifi network and being plugged into the same network allows them to find each other. True? However, how do I configure my network to allow me to plug my HA Green into my switch?

The issue is probably that your wifi router gives out dhcp addresses in its network and the isp router gives out dhcp addresses in another. You should change your setup, connect it like ISP → your router → your switch, not ISP → switch -->your router, that will ensure that everything is on the same internal network.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m short a patch cable… will get one and let you know if that works.

I’m not sure what @fleskefjes is saying but do not put the cables in a loop, if that is what he is suggesting.

Only the modem should use the “internet” port.
All other devices should be connected to each other from LAN to LAN.
And make sure only the first device has DHCP activated.

1 Like

This is not a standard setup and your ISP will have to provide multiple IPs for your network, which they are likely not doing.

The normal setup would be modem → router → switch

What I am saying is that with a ISP—> switch —> router setup you probably have two DHCP servers and two different networks. The ISP router will give adresses to devices connected to the switch, and the second router will give addresses to wifi devices. That’s why I am saying changing from ISP —> switch —> wifi router to ISP —> wifi router - switch. Then you only get addresses from the wifi router and everything is on the same netwotk, cabled and wifi.

Most ISPs will only give an address to one device. The rest will just be ignored and maybe end up with an auto-generated 169. address that is often useless.

You mean 1 public IP. I’m talking about private IPs. At least where I live “home centrals” (All in one router, wifi, switch) are the standard from the ISPs.

Anyhow, switch before your router is never a good practice.

In this setup you have to define from which view you are talking about public and private IPs.
Most ISPs will only provide one IP to the CPE (=router, computer or whatever that first request one) and that is often regardless if it is a globally visible Ip or a CGN’ed IP.
With a Modem → Switch → Router setup all IPs on the router will be provided by the ISPs DHCP service.

That’s not correct? If you have a “modem” (ISP supplied box that NAT / DHCP, let’s say 192.168.100.0/24) and you connect a switch to that, if you connect the Green to that switch it will get an IP in the 192.168.100.0/24 range. If you also have a Wifi router connected to this, the wifi router will get a WAN IP in the 192.168.100./24 range (double NAT) and supply for example an IP in the 192.168.0.0/24 range to clients that connects to its wifi.

It all depends on the “modem” and its capabilites. I think the issue OP is having is two different networks though.

Interesting connection as it is regularly that the router has a port for the ISP and not the switch.

If you want to have several networks, you need a gateway. I switch after ISP will can’t do it.

In short with a gateway you manage if and how networks and subnets are established. The switch is just an port extender for the network it is connected to.

With a regular Router you should enable 2 networks, maybe 4 when you can split 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz.
To enable more networks you need a gateway behind a router or additional routers which will establish more subnets. You can then configure them with internet access, acces to other subnets etc.

Maybe you need devices with physically separated (wireless) network ports, common gateways have 4.

You can enable one DHCP per network, the network with router and green you must choose which one does it.

A valid configuration would be
router >
switch >
1 router per switch port for subnets

router >
gateway >
1 router per port for subnets

In this configuration you can’t use the router as mesh router to extend the range of your main networks.

I wired as you suggested: ISP → wifi router → switch

I plugged in the HA Green to the switch along with my Hue and Smartthings bridge and all came online just fine. Now to learn how to migrate my Zigbee devices and learn integrations. And then learn programming, and then…

Much appreciated HA community. I aim to make the simplest network architecture as possible and focus my education on the programming.

Thanks again!!!

1 Like