HA hangs + high CPU load

Hello. Something has been going wrong with my HA for the last two days. HA is installed on the virtual machine. After starting, it can continue to work correctly for as long as 6 hours, maybe literally an hour, then it just freezes. In the window with the virtual machine you can see that even the cursor is not blinking. And if you look at the Windows task manager, you can see a very high load on the processor by this virtual machine (~80%). I looked at the Vbox logs, looked at the HA logs, and I don’t see anything critical that caught my eye.

Of course the web interface does not respond. Through the Android application it is the same. All that remains is to restart the virtual machine.

Tell me where to start, where to look for the problem. I’m new to working with HA. I even tried to roll back an older backup, but the freezes continued.

Start by looking at the homeassistant.log.1 file after a restart.

I don’t see anything critical. But the constant spam about the HACS extension is annoying

2024-05-28 12:16:27.163 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant
2024-05-28 12:16:27.167 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration yandex_smart_home which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant
2024-05-28 12:16:27.172 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration openrgb which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant
2024-05-28 12:16:35.200 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.frame] Detected that custom integration 'hacs' accesses hass.components.frontend. This is deprecated and will stop working in Home Assistant 2024.9, it should be updated to import functions used from frontend directly at custom_components/hacs/frontend.py, line 68: hass.components.frontend.async_register_built_in_panel(, please create a bug report at https://github.com/hacs/integration/issues
2024-05-28 12:16:36.893 WARNING (zeroconf-ServiceBrowser-_googlecast._tcp-111) [pychromecast.dial] Failed to determine cast type for host <unknown> (HTTP Error 403: Forbidden) (services:{MDNSServiceInfo(name='Smart-TV-e278ead6b06e270ecaa19997f0bd72cf._googlecast._tcp.local.')})
2024-05-28 12:16:37.122 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.frame] Detected that custom integration 'hacs' accesses hass.helpers.event. This is deprecated and will stop working in Home Assistant 2024.11, it should be updated to import functions used from event directly at custom_components/hacs/base.py, line 642: self.hass.helpers.event.async_track_time_interval(, please create a bug report at https://github.com/hacs/integration/issues
2024-05-28 12:16:39.849 WARNING (MainThread) [aioesphomeapi.reconnect_logic] Can't connect to ESPHome API for esp32-test @ 192.168.1.168: Error connecting to [AddrInfo(family=<AddressFamily.AF_INET: 2>, type=<SocketKind.SOCK_STREAM: 1>, proto=6, sockaddr=IPv4Sockaddr(address='192.168.1.168', port=6053))]: [Errno 113] Connect call failed ('192.168.1.168', 6053) (SocketAPIError)

HA froze again, but I saw this. Maybe there is some hint here? The CPU load was again almost maximal. In log1 I see the same thing as above, no new entries appear there after the virtual machine is rebooted.

VirtualBox seems to be a constant headache for a lot of people - there are many threads about it freezing or blowing up after an update. It’s possible that you have something in your HA that is just causing VBox to die. Have you tried reconfiguring the graphics, memory and CPU parameters and does that help or hurt the issue?

I have now recreated the virtual machine and connected the existing disk to it. Let’s see what will happen next. As a last resort, I will probably completely recreate it by transferring configurations and settings. Unfortunately, I don’t have another mini-PC to give it completely under HA. Of course, you can buy some kind of Android console, but it seems that this is not the best choice.

Yeah there are quite some issues related to VirtualBox in the Home Assistant Operating System GitHub issue tracker as well.

What you can try is enable or disable multiple CPUs (some people had success with CPU count being set to 1, some with the opposite :see_no_evil: ). Another thing which seems to help for some folks is BIOS updates. Also maybe check your BIOS settings if HW virtualization options can be enabled.

In general, about a day has already passed. The virtual machine continues to run. It seems that a simple re-creation helped, I didn’t change anything else. I simply created a new virtual machine with the same parameters and connected the HA image. ¯\(ツ)

1 Like