HA in a VM - can't find USB Z-Wave stick

I use it because my server is stuffed away in a far corner of the house in my man-cave… in a central position in the house I have a raspberry pi and its sole job is to host my two usb sticks and share them back to the server.

I’ve even got a large UPS on my server and a small UPS on the raspberry pi to guard against power outages. Its worked 100% for many months now

Presumably the usbip client needs to be installed on the server - how does that work if it’s Home Assistant running in a container or VM?

My HA runs in a virtualbox vm… I set the vm up so its network interface is bridged thus it appears on my local network like any other device.

Yes you install usbip on both server and client, there is a package for it on debian at least. If you google it you’ll find some handy guides to getting it running

Do you login to the HA VM via the ssh add-on to install or via the actual console (log ing as root, then “login”)? My experience of the native console is that the comand set is very limited and you can’t install anything. Is it based on Debian?

You are probably running the image with HA OS as the base and not any debian linux. If this is the case you can’t install it unless someone created an add-on for it.

THIS. Thank you so much.

To summarize for a future me, as I will inevitably reinstall from scratch and forget everything:

1. On your host linux terminal: sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers USER_RUNNING_VIRTUALBOX
  2. LOG OUT
  3. Log back in, start VirtualBox
  4. Open the USB panel VM settings in VirtualBox
  5. Click the green “+” button and a list of the current USB devices should appear – enable the correct one(s)

Hade the same issue I hade my pass-through as USB 3 changed to USB 2 then it showed in homeassistant

Thanks! Changing pass-through from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 fixed the issue for me.

I’ve found that the free VMWare player does USB passthrough flawlessly and I use that to run HA in a VM with 2 Zigbee USB devices and 1 Z-wave USB device. (I tried Virtualbox at first three years ago, but it didn’t do passthrough reliably then.)