HA in NUC Debian or Ubuntu. Server or desktop?

After the posts here, I decided not to use it for Kodi, at least in the beginning.
But definitely I will use it also as NAS.
So minimum user is HA & NAS.

I used this: https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassos_install very simple and it worked like a charm.

I also used the guide by @kanga_who. It was very easy and a very well written guide. Before that I was using Proxmox and as someone who only ever knew of Linux as, ‘that-nasty-open-source, thinks-it’s-better-than-everything-else Windows basher’ before I found HA, (I come from a corporate IBM/Wintel background) I don’t know why but I somehow found Proxmox a bit more intuitive and would probably go back to using it.

But:

Its BIG drawback for me was that I couldn’t use the NUC Bluetooth and that is very important for me for presence detection.

And before anyone jumps on me I did have my tongue in my cheek. Linux is perfectly fine.
I’ve almost grown to like it :wink:

1 Like

Just to be clear, with the guide of @kanga_who, you can use bluetooth and with Proxmox you couldn’t . Correct?
I also want bluetooth and that’s why I ask again.
Thx!

Yes.

But just to be clearer…
It isn’t the guide by @kanga_who that makes Bluetooth available it is the Ubuntu/Docker/Hassio install.
It was the use of Proxmox that stopped me using Bluetooth

1 Like

Go with Proxmox + Ubuntu VM for Hass.io in Docker. I started with Ubuntu server + Docker on my NUC (without Proxmox) first, and then later discovered that it would be nice to have a Win10 VM (for BlueIris). Even if you don’t plan to install a lot of VMs, then Proxmox will give you the flexibility to do so if you discover that you need it down the road.

So I’m getting ready to reinstall my hassio and came here for a thread just like this to see what others are doing and what works well.

Very interested in the proxmox thing as it sounds like it makes backup really easy.

So I wonder if I could install proxmox on a machine I have windows on now and then use that windows license for a windows VM? And of course something else for HA.
I’ll have to do some searching.

Any thoughts?

No one suggested unRaid yet?
I started with it just for a NAS, now it also hosts HA, NodeRed, Mqtt, Influx, Grafana, Zigbee2Mqtt, Unifi controller for Network, Shinobi for Security Cams, a Plex server and a few other dockers.
I had never built a server, or had much experience with any of the above. Now I love it, it’s a total time sink!

1 Like

I got ESXi 6.7 running on my NUC7i7DNHE with an Ubuntu 18.04 server VM for Hassio. This VM is just for HA. I got some other VM’s for VPN, Unifi Controller and Plex.
I extended the diskspace with my Synology via NFS, so I got 5GB extra storage.
I also got 2 RPi 0w running for bluetooth scanning, among which my Mi Flora sensors.

With an i3 processor I think it’s better to run Proxmox instead of ESXi. Then you can create a seperate VM for Hassio and another one with Kodi.

I wrote a guide for installing HASS in a VENV, hit me if you want to go that way =)

Hm, that’s odd, I’d suggest you ask around on Proxmox forums and in Proxmox or HomeLab subreddits, I’m sure they’ll help. Maybe there are some bios settings that need to be adjusted or something.

unRAID sounds like a decent option as well. For myself I picked Proxmox because I did not want to stick to unRAID as my disk array and wanted more freedom in disk configuration, and because I did not want to pay for it and wanted to try opensource. Proxmox also comes with LXC containers out of the box, which are somewhere between a full VM and Docker container. They act like a VM as in you run a full os in there, but they are lightweight as docker. In fact I think that Docker used LXC containers at the start before developing their own thing.

New problem in my head popped up!
When I googled how to install freeNAS on Ubuntu, I found out that freeNAS is a OS by itself and most of the times I find guides on how to install Ubuntu in freeNAS.
Furthermore when I search “how to set up NAS on ubuntu”, I see that server is required and not destop.

So, taking into account that I want NUC for NAS and HA, should I install Ubuntu server and then set up NAS, or I should install FreeNAS and then Ubuntu in VM?
Or there is another (easy) way of having both HA and NAS in NUC???

All these questions…
:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

Hi I use debian server for HA in a virtual env, mqtt server. I also have a second drive that I use as my media drive, with music and video, this drive can be mounted or accessed by other devices and Kodi.

I found it easier to set up HA on debian rather than Ubuntu as a new user to Linux. Most guides for raspberry pi will normally just work on your debian server.

The desktop version can do anything the server version can do. They’re basically the same thing, but the desktop version has a desktop environment. They both have access to all the same software.

A NUC is an absolutely terrible platform for freenas. Don’t even attempt it.

OpenMediaVault

But I have to mention that the idea of a NAS is to have an array of disks. A NUC (depending on the model) can hold a maximum of 2 disks. With one of them being the OS, where is the storage going to go?

You can do everything you’re asking about on Ubuntu. You don’t need a NAS OS for it.

1 Like

A nas is easy. Just install samba.

I started with hass.io in proxmox as a vm but switched to hass.io in proxmox as a container 3-4 weeks ago and couldn’t be happier. Less host resource overhead, and snapshots take a few seconds verses minutes. I used the script from here to install it. https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassio_lxc

2 Likes

how did you migrate the HA-data to LXC? simply backpu/restore via hass.io? any troubles?

They are just files in a directory. The entire config directory moves from install to install just fine.

It was pretty easy, painless. Yep, used hass.io snapshot to migrate over (I brought the LXC up enough to install samba addon so I could transfer snapshot to LXC). I left the VM in place but powered down for a few weeks in case bad stuff happened I could just bring it back up. If you need more details, steps I took just let me know.