HA in NUC Debian or Ubuntu. Server or desktop?

thanks … I will give it a try.

installed via the provided shell script without any problems.

I made a snapshot and transferred the snapshot file to the LXC container - then I choose wipe & restore in the snapshot menu.

took some minutes and then started up without any issue.

the only problem was that it didn’t install all addons from the snapshot, namly influxDB, esphome, vs code and google snapshot were NOT installed via backup.

any clues why? My guess, that the VM is on ARM and the LXC is the host system, which is i386 and therfore the restore failed on these few addons.

How did you manage to passthrou the USB to LXC (z-wave and zigbee CC2531 stick)?

Funny… i usually find a couple of addons missing and I just install them… but the last time (this week) when I moved to a different SSD, they all came over… No idea why but I’m used to it having done half a dozen restores recently…

They seem to be different addons missing as well…

It is no big deal. I am just curious, why they were missing.

I installed Ubuntu desktop and hassio. Then I tried to install openmediavault through virtualbox. I couldn’t!

I decided to go with Proxmox. I burned a DVD (since for some reason there was a problem with the USB) but I got an error that no hard disk was found.
Maybe the problem is because of the installed Ubuntu or because the disk is an M.2 nvme.

So I was thinking s next step, to install Debian.

If this falls as well, I will probably try windows…:smirk:

If there is any suggestion about Proxmox solution, I would appreciate it!

Turn off “Intel Rapid Storage Technology” from the BIOS. Proxmox installer should then understand to boot in Legacy mode allowibg the installer to detect the NVMe drives.

Could be that the drives are formatted to ZFS. Install proxmox using UEFI.

If all that fails, it could be that you need to load/inject drivers in the installer to recognize your m2 ssd drive. You’ll have to search for some how-to’s though.

Thanks for the suggestion. Probably my skills are not that high to make it happen.
I couldn’t find “Intel Rapid Storage Technology” in BIOS.
But I think I managed to install using UEFI, but again it couldn’t find the drive. Could it be bcs I had Ubuntu already on it?
Now I will try to install debian and then Install Proxmox VE on Debian Stretch
My guess is that I will not manage it again, but why not loosing time trying it???

What is your original OS?

sorry didn’t respond sooner. I have found that if I get the new instance up and add in any custom repositories before I restore the snapshot it restores them fine. I think the add-ons that you mention it not restoring are ones with custom repositories. As far as usb passthrough. Let me look into it, but I think with it being lxc, as long as the host could see it the container could too. I’ll look at my configs to make sure, I have a zwave stick that is working fine.

I did have an issue with my zwave stick, it has a different ID on the LXC install than it did on my VM install. Once I fixed the ID on the LXC install it worked. I don’t remember right off where to change the ID but if that doesn’t ring a bell for you and you need further help getting it to work I’ll look into my mental notes on how I did it.

My original os was windows 7 but that got wiped when installing debian

1 Like