HA iOS app broken

I was reinstalling my HA app to get the new version. I deleted my phone from Integrations, deleted the old app on my phone, installed the new app. It seemed to go okay, except that I ended up with two phones. I deleted one of them, and everything seemed to work okay.

In trying to understand how the internal/external connections worked, I was changing URLs. I shouldn’t have done that, because once I changed my external URL, I couldn’t put it back to my Nabu Casa URL - the app wouldn’t let me. So I deleted the app to reinstall. But it won’t completely delete. I’m left with this:

HA icon

which doesn’t do anything if I click it, but if I long press it gives me this:

Movie and Normal are two scripts I have to set scenes.

If I delete it, it just comes back when I restart my phone. And the app store thinks HA is still installed - I have the option to open, which does nothing, instead of the option to install.

I would really appreciate help to fix this!

Edited to add: iPhone 7 on iOS 13.6

This looks like a very broken installation by the system - haven’t seen that before! If you restart the device does it let you install the app again?

Oh I misread the restart bit in your message. I’m not sure. Can you try installing the TestFlight build as a forcing function to update?

I already have TestFlight installed - not sure how to get the invitation for the HA beta?
Never mind, figured it out!

Okay, it is doing the same thing it did before I deleted it. It keeps flashing a popup that says URL unavailable - Expected to have an external URL but none available. Will exit please reopen. Then I am left with a blank screen with the orange settings icon in the bottom right corner.

I’ve tried putting my internal URL in the external URL space and that stops the error. But I think it should be my Nabu Casa URL and I don’t know how to fix that.

I’m not sure what’s going on, but it very much does feel like something outside the app’s control. I’d try deleting the app from within the system Settings area for Storage which has a different delete flow; maybe ‘offload’ and then ‘delete’ and try reinstalling?

Thanks so much for your help, Zac. I have deleted it from within System Storage (without offloading, because I didn’t want it saving any data. I need to go through the config flow again. It seems like it worked.

Before I start the reinstall, could you please clarify how this should work: I am on my local network. I have a Nabu Casa cloud subscription. When it detected my instance last time, it showed my Nabu Casa url. Is that what I should accept? Or should it be finding my internal 198.162.x.x url? When I did it the first time it found the Nabu Casa url, and I accepted that. But it confused me that it always said it was using the external url even when I should just be on my local network. I don’t want to be using the cloud when I am at home.

Once you’ve completed onboarding you can go into the Connection settings and add an internal URL and your Wi-Fi names that it will use to decide if it’s on an internal network. This is a good route to go because it reduces the latency when you’re at home. If you’re having issues with that after you’ve got it set up and working with Nabu Casa it’ll be another issue to work through.

I deleted my integration in HA and reinstalled the app. The app did not ask me to onboard, it just connected to my HA instance immediately. It still has my 192.168.x.x url in the External URL field, and it will not allow me to enter my Nabu Casa URL. I don’t understand why deleting the app and all its data doesn’t actually delete the data. How can I get it to do the onboarding step again?

Edited to add: somehow it does know my Nabu Casa url because if I turn off WiFi and turn on the HA Cloud button in the app, it does connect to my instance using a cellular connection. So I am not sure what the external url field means at this point…

I am now also having the same issue except I cannot see the HA iOS app in my storage setting. I cannot reinstall the app because the app store thinks it is installed already. Can someone help?

Before deleting the app on your phone you need to sign out of the app then delete your phone from the integration using a web browser. Then when you reinstall the app it will onboard your phone.

Thank you for the information. I deleted the app and removed the HA integration since it wasn’t working properly. I’ll try again and see if I can get it to onboard this time.