HA + MQTT + Device Tracker

Hi all.

First of all, a bit of background given this is my first post.

Long time “home automation” user, first time “home assistant” user :slight_smile:

I have a rather extensive home automation system built over the years using domoticz + z-wave + rfxtrx433 + a couple other technologies all controller with node-red via mqtt. I’ve decided it was time to simplify and switch to HA using - mostly - IP modules such as Shelly.

After a couple of hours I’ve come to conclusion HA is much better than domoticz in terms of structure and organization. That said I still have a long way to go to understand how everything ties together.

I am having a rather specific issue understanding people / device tracking. I’ve enabled mqtt on via the integrations panel, created a person, myself, and assigned it two devices: one which is created with owntracks integration and the other which is created using asuswrt integration.

Looking at node-red HA node (websockets) I do get updates as expected:

however via mqtt I do have a “person” topic but that doesn’t seem to get updated at all. I also don’t seem to have any “device tracker” topic where I’d expect to get all tracked devices and its status update?

What am I doing wrong here? Also, how can I “force update” that device_tracker.ip_jf_x2_pro device (asuswrt integration) via mqtt?

Thanks in advance

Print showing MQTT topics as it wouldn’t let me to post two images on the same post image