HA - no longer able to connect to some external URLS after system change

Hi All,

My HA running in a virtualbox virtualmachine has been rock solid for years while on a Windows 11 host.

I redid the windows 11 box (intel nuc) with Ubuntu 22.04 and installed virtualbox and imported the virtual machine back.

All seemed to be working fine, HA back up and running, until realising for the past 3 weeks no mobile notifications are coming through anymore. Ever since the change.

The VirtualBox VM Network setup is in ‘bridge’ mode as required.
The ubuntu box itself can reach/resolve the domains perfectly fine.

Something within HA though isn’t resolving or connecting, if I didnt know any better it would be due to HA having its own firewall.

Note : there is no firewall active on the ubuntu server.

Screenshot of the logs attached. I’m going out of my mind trying to identify/troublehsoot this and its difficult without a shell on the HA vm to execute a host for example.

I did run a

ping mobile-apps.home-assistant.io and it said ‘is alive’ but cant test a connection on port 443 via the HA CLI from what I can tell.

Testing the 443 connect via ubuntu host though = perfectly fine.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this ?

Logger: homeassistant.components.mobile_app.notify
Source: components/mobile_app/notify.py:203
Integration: Mobile App (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 13:04:38 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 13:04:38

Error sending notification to https://mobile-apps.home-assistant.io/api/sendPush/android/v1: ClientConnectorError(ConnectionKey(host='mobile-apps.home-assistant.io', port=443, is_ssl=True, ssl=None, proxy=None, proxy_auth=None, proxy_headers_hash=-2778676880731515129), gaierror(-3, 'Try again'))

Probably help if I included versions.

  • Core 2024.1.3
  • Supervisor 2024.03.1
  • Operating System 12.1
  • Frontend 20240104.0

Also here is a connection on port 443 via the ubuntu host working fine.

root@itsanuc-desktop:~# telnet mobile-apps.home-assistant.io 443
Connected to mobile-apps.home-assistant.io.
Escape character is '^]'.
telnet> quit

Update with this, it seems just the android endpoint is the problem.

My wifes iphone is receiving the HA notifications perfectly fine.