HA not accusable after router change

Hi there,

I’m not a HA expert but managed to get everything setup about 6 months ago. External access via cloudflare.

Today I switched to a new router and I can’t reach my HA anymore. The new router uses IPv6 and IPv4 over DS-lite. I have no idea what’s the difference of them.

My new signal chain is:
router (Fritz!Box 7530 AX) → TP-Link DECO M4 → Network switch → HA green

only the router changed.

In the router menu I can see my “homeassistant” but it has no IP. But I see 3 IPV6 addresses and a MAC address.

Now I’m not able to access my HA anymore. Not over homeassistant.local:8123, and not over my external domain. Here I get a:
"Error 1033
Ray ID: 8bb442b3dda25b80 • 2024-08-30 10:57:32 UTC

Argo Tunnel error"

Can anyone has an idea how I can fix this?

I’m probably not too helpful as I don’t have this setup, but I see other Forum users from time to time dealing with changes over to DS-Lite. My understanding is that DS-Lite tunnels IPv4 from probably your Fritzbox to a Carrier-Grade NAT in your carrier’s network, and your home gets assigned a private IPv4 address by your Carrier and not a public IPv4 address. The Fritzbox is also likely a gateway doing NATv4 and being a DHCP server handing out private IPv4 addresses within your home. This means among other things is that you won’t be able to initiate a connection from the public IPv4 world to your home. However you should still be able to initiate connections from within your home to the outside public IPv4 world.

I’m not familiar with TP-Link DECO M4, but I presume it is a WiFi AP acting as a Router/NAT with a DHCP server handing out IPv4 private addresses to HA green. If this is correct, I would say you should be able to take a wireless device (mobile phone, tablet) that is connected to TP-Link and the wireless device should be able to connect to homeassistant.local:8123 as before just to prove that part of the connectivity works. If the TP-Link is instead acting like a WiFi bridge/switch between FritzBox and HA green, then based on you saying the router see’s homeassistant but not assigning it an IP address, then yes that would indeed be a problem but not only for HA green, but anything in your home.

I would presume your Argo Tunnel is between a device within your home and a Cloudflare server. I also assume your Argo Tunnel is initiated by the device within your home to the Cloudflare server, and since this is not working as indicated by Error 1033, I would start with it trying to understand why it is not working.

1 Like

I got it working again. I switched back to my old router and could access HA as before. I then set the IP address to automatic instead of fixed. Then I went back to the new router. This time HA was found and got a IP address.

External access is also running again. For the app i needed to set the external http address manually.